It’s that time again, another Design Challenge is upon us and if the previous four months of 2018 are any indication this challenge is going to be one for the record books. This challenge is unlike any that came before it in that the challengers have not one but many different development boards to choose from to bring their creations to life. Dubbed BlueTooth Unleashed, this challenge is centered around everyone’s favorite wireless So let's jump right in and find out what this challenge is all about. Since this challenge is a bit atypical I want to take a moment and fill you in on its details before I introduce you to its participants.
Bluetooth Unleashed Design Challenge
About The Challenge
Featured as the second design challenge of 2018, the Bluetooth Unleashed Design Challenge opened for project idea submissions in February of 2018, which was met with many submissions from community members. As I mentioned earlier, the challenge is based on ten different development boards, with each challenger choosing one of these development boards to base their project around. Challengers have eleven weeks to develop their project and share their progress in a series of weekly updates posts. By posting a minimum of ten update post, challengers become eligible to win several awesome prizes, and the chance to become one of our prestigious design challenge winners.
While sixteen project proposals were chosen to be the official projects of the challenge, entering the challenge is not limited to just those sixteen community members. Anyone can join the Challenge as a non-sponsored Challenger, and still be eligible win one of the three prizes. If you are a non-sponsored challenger all you need to do is integrate one of the 10 Hero Boards into your project, utilize its Bluetooth, and post 10 blogs about your design journey in the Bluetooth Unleashed Design Challenge space (tagging those blogs 'Bluetooth Unleashed Design Challenge').
The Official Kit
As I mentioned earlier, the Bluetooth Unleashed Design Challenge is a bit atypical in that instead of one specific development board that has to be used, challengers have their choice to use any one of ten various development boards to base their project around. Each of these boards feature built-in Bluetooth connectivity, or feature a daughter board that gives it Bluetooth capabilities. Each of these boards has been listed below with a link to purchase it from Element14.
- Cypress -
- BBC -
- Redbear -
- NXP -
- STM -
- BeagleBone -
- Pycom -
- Raspberry Pi -
- Samsung ARTIK -
- Texas Instruments -
To learn more about each of these components or to purchase them to use in your own project, visit the official kit announcement or click the links above.
- Grand Prize: $2000.00 USDShopping Cart at any element14 transactional site.
- Runner-Up Prize: $1500.00 USD Shopping Cart at any element14 transactional site.
- Third Prize: $1000.00 USD Shopping Cart at any element14 transactional site.
- *University Team Prize: $2000.00 USD Shopping Cart on Newark.com site.
Anyone who has completed their project, used one of the 10 Hero Boards with Bluetooth, posted 10+ updates in the Bluetooth Unleashed Design Challenge space, and adhered to the requirements in the Terms and Conditions will receive: , , , and element14 Community Backpack.
*Enrolled University Teams (Students and Tutors) will be treated as an individual and asked to follow the Bluetooth Unleashed Design Challenge: Terms & Conditions. Click here for more information on the University Team Prize.
- University Teams will need to complete 10+ Blog Posts to be eligible for the University Team Prize.
- One person must be selected as the recipient of team prizes and kit.
- Please Identify your team members and university in your application.
Judging for the Bluetooth Unleashed Design Challenge will be performed by the following industry and community leaders.
- Jim Beneke - VP, Global Technical and Electronics Marketing – Avnet
- Pete Wenzel - Global Director of Raspberry Pi, Single Board Computers, and Software – Premier Farnell
- element14 Team - Community Judges
For any general questions about the challenge, judging or anything else, you can post a 'comment' on the About This Challenge page. Your fellow Challengers or anyone following the challenge are likely to respond.
The Challengers and Their Projects
I have listed out each project with a link to its respective challenger’s blog and profile page. I will update this info if any unofficial challengers enter their projects into the challenge.
- Project: Home Security System Implemented with Bluetooth LE - by Keith Edwards (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Project: Addressable LED Strip - by Monika Gal (mgal)
- Project: B.E.E.P - by Milos Rasic (milosrasic98)
- Project: World of Bluetooth - Felo'melorn - by Frederick Vandenbosch (fvan)
- Project: Bi Key - by Ravikiran Hv (hvravikiran)
- Project: Smart Doorbell System - by Shabaz Yousaf (shabaz)
- Project: Bluetooth Asset Tag - by Krzysztof Stasiak (curry82)
- Project: Neonatal Jaundice Phototherapy - by Md. Kamrul Hussain (sunnyiut)
- Project: Bluetooth Maze - by Carmelito Andrade (carmelito)
- Project: Smart Exercise Bike Computer - by Yuri Tikhonov (yuritikhonov)
- Project: Stirling Blue - by Douglas Wong (dougw)
- Project: Plant Protector 3100 - by Bernhard Mayer (bernhardmayer)
- Project: BT_Sentry - by Mark Beckett (mcb1)
- Project: Ardufarm - Modular Farm - by Lex Bryan Bangot (lexbryan)
- Project: The Bar or Restaurant taBLE Assistant - by Colin Gerrish (BigG)
- Project: AAPSAD (Adaptive Ambiance for People with Stress and Depression) - by Sakthivigneshwar R (sakthi.1260)
As I mentioned earlier, entering the challenge is not limited to just the sixteen chosen community members and anyone can join the Bluetooth Unleashed Design Challenge as a non-sponsored Challenger. So please consider joining for a chance to win some awesome prizes.
That is going to wrap up this intro to the Bluetooth Unleashed Design Challenge. Remember to check back each and every week for the duration of this challenge for a summary post from the previous week’s updates. If you would like to learn more about this challenge, and to see what progress has already been made, Bluetooth Unleashed Design Challenge, and as always, remember to hack the world and make awesome!