MCP9800 Temperature Sensor PICtail Demo Board
The MCP9800 Thermal Sensor PICtail™ Demo Board demonstrates how to interface the MCP9800 to a PICmicro® microcontroller using the PICkit™ 1 Flash Starter Kit as a platform. A PIC16F684 14-pin, Flash-based, 8-bit CMOS microcontroller device is included with the demo board and can be used with the PICkit 1 Flash Starter Kit. Also included is firmware that provides the I2C™ interface and temperature conversion routines to communicate with the MCP9800 a nd convert the serial data to temperature. In addition, the designer can serially transmit the temperature data to the on board, 7-segment LED display to show the temperature.
The MCP9800 Thermal Sensor PICtail™ Demo Board can also be used as a “stand-alone” module to quickly add thermal-sensing capability to any existing application. This basic sensor functionality is implemented on a small Printed Circuit Board (PCB) and an interface via a standard 100 mil header.
The MCP9800 is a digital temperature sensor capable of reading temperatures from -55°C to 125°C. Temperature data is measured from an integrated temperature sensor and converted to digital word with a user selectable 9 to 12-bit Sigma Delta Analog to Digital Converter.
Key Applications: Personal Computers and Servers, Hard Disk Drives and Other PC Peripherals, Entertainment Systems, Office Equipment, Data Communication Equipment, Mobile Phones, General Purpose Temperature Monitoring
- Standard 100 mil 14-pin header (J2) for easy interface to PICkit™ 1 Flash Starter Kit or custom application
- 7-segment LED display to display temperature in °C or °F
- Temperature Alert indicating LED
- Small PCB layout
- The MCP9800 Thermal Sensor PICtail™ Demo Board
- MCP9800 Thermal Sensor PICtail™ Demo Board User’s Guide (DS51528)
- MCP9800 Data Sheet, “2-Wire High-Accuracy Temperature Sensor” (DS21909)
- PIC16F684 14-pin, Flash-based, 8-bit, CMOS Microcontroller
- PIC16F684 Firmware