STMicroelectronics STM32F4DISCOVERY Discovery kit for STM32 F4 series

Table of contents

Introduction

The STM32F4DISCOVERY helps you to discover the STM32F4 high-performance features and to develop your applications easily. It includes everything required for beginners and experienced users to get started quickly.

Based on the STM32F407VGT6, it includes an ST-LINK/V2 embedded debug tool, two ST MEMS, digital accelerometer and digital microphone, one audio DAC with integrated class D speaker driver, LEDs and push buttons and an USB OTG micro-AB connector.

Key Features

• STM32F407VGT6 microcontroller featuring 32-bit ARM Cortex-M4F core, 1 MB Flash, 192 KB RAM in an LQFP100 package
  • On-board ST-LINK/V2 with selection mode switch to use the kit as a standalone ST-LINK/V2 (with SWD connector for programming and debugging)
  • Board power supply: through USB bus or from an external 5 V supply voltage
  • External application power supply: 3 V and 5 V
  • LIS302DL, ST MEMS motion sensor, 3-axis digital output accelerometer
  • MP45DT02, ST MEMS audio sensor, omni-directional digital microphone
  • CS43L22, audio DAC with integrated class D speaker driver
  • Eight LEDs:
    • LD1 (red/green) for USB communication
    • LD2 (red) for 3.3 V power on
    • Four user LEDs, LD3 (orange), LD4 (green), LD5 (red) and LD6 (blue)
    • 2 USB OTG LEDs LD7 (green) VBus and LD8 (red) over-current
  • Two push buttons (user and reset)
  • USB OTG FS with micro-AB connector
  • Extension header for all LQFP100 I/Os for quick connection to prototyping board and easy probing
Comment List
Anonymous
Parents
  • Is this all the comments so far? ..

I purchase the STM32F Discovery board from mouser about 4 months ago and it took me forever to figure out the toolchain. The software is proprietary, commercial & closed source. I watched several videos of RTOS being ran on this mcu but the free version of the IDE but the upload cap of the IDE prevents the ability to upload RTOS.

I wound up intstalling somewhere around ten different programs. I spent hours on each one trying to get the settings right and the ST-link to work. I finally was able to instal a sample code that utilized the CS43L22 audio DAC to play 3 seconds of an audio file.

Perhaps I'm simply unexperienced or maybe a slow learner but it the learning curve of the tool chain associated with this board seemed counter intuitive. I could see working for a large company who has full versions of the software and perhaps trains you to use it but for the basement dwelling prototypers &  self taught engineers just starting out like myself, expect to spend a bit of time wrapping your head around the process of utilizing all the great attractive features of this board.

I wish luck to all those who have this board and hope that you had a better experience than me. I don't want to steer anyone away from this product because its a dreamy board at a price you can't beat. So for those that didn't have trouble getting to know the ins and outs of the STM32F4, please spread the wisdom in tutorials/posts/blogs.

Thank you for your time and I would really like to hear from others about your experience with this board. Did you find programming and debugging it easier than I did? I gave around  48 hours to this board and haven't touched it since but a good tutorial may be what inspires me to dive back in. Have a nice day.

Comment
  • Is this all the comments so far? ..

I purchase the STM32F Discovery board from mouser about 4 months ago and it took me forever to figure out the toolchain. The software is proprietary, commercial & closed source. I watched several videos of RTOS being ran on this mcu but the free version of the IDE but the upload cap of the IDE prevents the ability to upload RTOS.

I wound up intstalling somewhere around ten different programs. I spent hours on each one trying to get the settings right and the ST-link to work. I finally was able to instal a sample code that utilized the CS43L22 audio DAC to play 3 seconds of an audio file.

Perhaps I'm simply unexperienced or maybe a slow learner but it the learning curve of the tool chain associated with this board seemed counter intuitive. I could see working for a large company who has full versions of the software and perhaps trains you to use it but for the basement dwelling prototypers &  self taught engineers just starting out like myself, expect to spend a bit of time wrapping your head around the process of utilizing all the great attractive features of this board.

I wish luck to all those who have this board and hope that you had a better experience than me. I don't want to steer anyone away from this product because its a dreamy board at a price you can't beat. So for those that didn't have trouble getting to know the ins and outs of the STM32F4, please spread the wisdom in tutorials/posts/blogs.

Thank you for your time and I would really like to hear from others about your experience with this board. Did you find programming and debugging it easier than I did? I gave around  48 hours to this board and haven't touched it since but a good tutorial may be what inspires me to dive back in. Have a nice day.

Children
  • I have been using the STM32F4 Discovery for a few months now, it is an excellent piece of kit for the price!

I am developing touch screen LCD applications, and am the moment finishing an OV7670 cmos camera module driver which outputs RGB565 and scales to QVGA (YUV) for the HY32D LCD, take a look at my Blog if you are interested...if not, will be happy to help you  with any problems you may have with IDE's or any other issues around the STM32F4.