Analog Devices ADSP-BF592 EZ-KIT Lite® Evaluation System

Table of contents

Win a chance to evaluate a powerful yet low cost ADI Blackfin processor!  The ADSP-BF59x processor offers performance up to 400 MHz and reduced static power and is the platform of choice for next-generation applications that require RISC-like programmability, multimedia support, and leading-edge signal processing in one integrated package. The BF592 is ideal for computationally intense, yet low cost applications such as industrial, automotive, and general purpose applications that do not require external memory or executable flash.
This Roadtest kit includes an ADSP-BF592 Blackfin Processor desktop evaluation board along with an evaluation suite of the VisualDSP++® development and debugging environment, including the C/C++ compiler, assembler, and linker. The evaluation suite of VisualDSP++ is designed to be used with the EZ-KIT Lite only.

The EZ-KIT Lite also comes with a standalone debug agent board that is removable to allow a user to plug-in an external emulator.

The board features are as follows:
  • Analog Devices ADSP-BF592 Blackfin processor
    • Core performance up to 400 MHz
    • 64-lead LFCSP
  • Programmable VDDINT core power
    • Analog Devices AD5258 TWI digital potentiometer
    • Analog Devices ADP1715 low dropout linear regulator
  • SPI external flash memory
    • Numonyx M25P16 – 16 Mb
  • Audio codec
    • Analog Devices SSM2603 stereo, 24-bit analog-to-digital and digital-to-analog converters
    • Highly efficient headphone amplifier
    • Stereo line input and monaural microphone input
  • Universal asynchronous receiver/transmitter (UART)
    • ADM3202 RS-232 line driver/receiver
    • DB9 female connector
As well as many other items to enhance development of your application including  LEDs, pushbutton, and a land grid array.
Product Video
Terms & Conditions
  • Testers will be selected on the basis of quality of applications: we expect a full and complete description of why you want to test this particular product.
  • Testers are required to produce a full, comprehensive and well thought out review within 2 months of receipt of the product.
  • Failure to provide this review within the above timescale will result in the enrolee being excluded from future Road Tests.
Reviews for this Roadtest
Comment List
Anonymous
  • Here it is: http://www.element14.com/community/roadTestReviews/1536

Tried to explain the steps from unbozing to programming so that maybe the other RoadTesters can get going on this

• Analog devices DSP are not very easy to use and understand, not that many people use them,and it looks like only community is inside www.analog.com as forum, where people from analog help to solve the problem (not all the time, sometimes they just point where to read, but for beginner that is not a help). Also tools are hard to use. And debuggers cost thousands of dollars just because of Analog badge,(Is this kit have debugger on board? if not, that could explain why no one write a review, because they get board, and oops, i don't know any of this stuff )

And if they can write only what can see or read on datasheet, and can't test it in depth, my guess they just remain silent. And that is a shame, because some of use work with analog DSP products, and can write a review, and would love to read about it. In short, this review not for kids, but advanced engineers

• I wonder if it is a time constraint or if there are technical challenges to overcome. A board like this isn't an Arduino and there are not a million "For Dummies" tutorials out there. So I wonder if that may be an issue. If it is, talk. Even if an evaluation fails, it's worth documenting. If it doesn't work for you, post it, lets talk and solve it together.

• Sebastian,

I look forward to your review.  I believe the biggest challenge is finding someone who is willing to do what they say they will do (i.e. evaluate and write a review).

Gordon

• I finally have the time tostart writing the review. To see what others have done with the board so far I came back here to check and noticed that nobody else has gotten around to reviewing the board yet. What are the challenges you are facing?

• Hi Jeff,

Thank you for your honesty. You can ship the product back to

Newark

Attn: Tim McDonald/NVA

217 Wilcox Avenue

Gaffney, SC  29341

Once the product is returned, someone else will be picked for this road test.

Many thanks again,

Joann

• How do I (gracefully) back out of this roadtest? Let me be clear on what I'm looking to do...

This roadtest was closed for applications back in October 2012. At that time, I had expected to be able to fulfill the requirements under the expectation that I would receive the item within a short time after the closing date.

However, there was a 4+ month wait before receiving the item. This went well beyond the (reasonable) time I have specifically allotted myself to fulfill my duties as a roadtester. As it turns out, I'm finding my spare time quite limited lately. This item is rather complex and I cannot easily work it into my regular activities for testing, like a piece of test equipment or something. I specifically need to focus spare time into to review the item and I'm far too busy on other projects to devote the time this roadtest deserves.

Therefore, in order to prevent myself from being disqualified from future roadtests, I would like to return the item (shipping paid by me) and gracefully back out of the roadtest for this product. I think I have been more than patient in waiting for the item in the first place. I decided to hang in there and make the attempt to start testing it, but my other duties are preventing me from continuing the roadtest at this time. I don't expect to be able to keep the item, nor do I want to, since I cannot complete the roadtest review.

So I ask the roadtest owner, Christian DeFeo, where do I return this item? Do I send it directly back to the source, or would you like to pick another name from the roadtest applicant list and I'll send it to them instead?

Thank you,

Jeff Salzman

• Just talked to ADI, they are going to send me a CD. However, they indicated that VisualDSP++ should not be used for new designs but instead they recommend ADI CrossCore.

• Interesting, my kit did not come with a CD. Do you have a way of getting the files on the CD to me? The online download seems to be entirely worthless.

• I just installed the software from CD. After it was finished, I believe an option at the end allowed me to go online to download updates. I downloaded the v5.0 version (as a .vdu file) and used the "management" tool that came with it to do the update