Review of Texas Instruments DLP® LightCrafter™

Table of contents

RoadTest: Texas Instruments DLP® LightCrafter™

Author: bigchin

Creation date:

Evaluation Type: Evaluation Boards

Did you receive all parts the manufacturer stated would be included in the package?: True

What other parts do you consider comparable to this product?: in house development

What were the biggest problems encountered?: 1. The color is not uniform. Even with adjustment and cannot get the uniform colors to match color chart. 2. Light distance is not far enough for my application. 3. The delay time/jitter is too long for high-speed application. It is good for simple low speed video display.

Detailed Review:

I believe this module is a great one for those who want to display simple video.  It is handy and does not require additional cooling.  However, the module that I received had several drqwbacks.  the first is red color uniformity.  I had tried numerous times to calibrate and still not come out matching with my color chart.  The second one is the delay time or jitter issue.  this may not be an issue for people to do 3D display.  However, it makes it unsuitable for sensitve application like PLL.  the fhird issue is the display distant.  for my application, it is not bright enough.

Anonymous
Parents
  • 2. Light distance is not far enough for my application.

you can use more light if you add an active cooling system then you can use up to 40 lumen which could be enough

• Hi Daniel,

thanks for suggustion.  I had tried by pumping more current into the LED to increase the intensity.  Adding an active cooling is simple but color shift is another thing.  Unless I use a match LED pair, please let me know the technique to resolve the issue of color splite between multiple LEDs that emitting different light intensities and colors.  You know LED would shift its color slightly under different current.

Comment
  • Hi Daniel,

thanks for suggustion.  I had tried by pumping more current into the LED to increase the intensity.  Adding an active cooling is simple but color shift is another thing.  Unless I use a match LED pair, please let me know the technique to resolve the issue of color splite between multiple LEDs that emitting different light intensities and colors.  You know LED would shift its color slightly under different current.

Children
  • chin wong wrote:

Hi Daniel,

thanks for suggustion.  I had tried by pumping more current into the LED to increase the intensity.

You can't "pump" current into anything, current is drawn by the load. Make sure each LED is drawing the same amount of current, the voltage drop across each LED should be very close to the same. That is one reason why LED replacement bulbs are so expensive, because the LEDs must be matched to ensure consistent coloring.