Raspberry Pi 3 in a Box - Review

Table of contents

RoadTest: Raspberry Pi 3 in a Box

Author: ddip214

Creation date:

Evaluation Type: Independent Products

Did you receive all parts the manufacturer stated would be included in the package?: True

What other parts do you consider comparable to this product?:

What were the biggest problems encountered?: The biggest issue I encountered was an issue with the SD card, for some reason I was unable to use it. Luckily I have tons of them around the house so I installed Raspbian

Detailed Review:

Deluxe Raspberry Pi3 Starter Kit

Roadtest Review

David DiPonzio

May 2020

What is included in this kit?

Kit Contents:

• Raspberry Pi3 Model B

• 8GB microSD card and SD adapter, preloaded with the NOOBS OS

• Official red and white Pi 3 case

• Multi-regional 2.5A power supply

• 1m HDMI cable

• Official USB optical mouse

• Official scissor-switch action USB keyboard

• “Adventures in Raspberry Pi” guide book

Shipping:

The kit came properly shipped with bubble wrap and other protective measures.

When opening the box I was met with a beautiful white box containing the Pi and the rest of the contents.

Setup:

The setup was extremely easy, which is why Raspberry Pi's are becoming so popular. You can set it up anywhere, on a desk, on a shelf, anywhere. The learning curve is relatively easy and the user gets to decide how in-depth he or she wants to explore.

Thoughts on the Kit:

The kit is a great beginner kit, the price is right for the number of devices included. The purchaser has everything but a screen to get started. As for the book included in the kit (yes it is a little outdated) but for starters and young children is a great way to learn the basics and build a solid foundation in Python. I thought the mouse was well constructed and felt great in my hand during use. The keyboard is sleek and well built. I wish these input devices were wireless though. The case for the Raspberry Pi is beautiful, I love the red and white color scheme. When built the case feels very durable, and protected. There were also several different plug types for different nations.

Issues with the Kit:

The only issue I came across was the SD card. This is apparent in other tester's reviews also. I have several micro SD cards so I installed Raspbian on one of them.

What am I doing with my Pi:

I have dedicated my Pi to track airplanes through Flightradar24.com. I have purchased a USB ADS-B receiver to plug into my Raspberry Pi. So far I have tracked over 218 aircraft. I plan on running this system for some time. If anyone is interested my station name is: T-KROC55.

Anonymous

Top Comments

• , it's good to go into detail, and here's some information I'd be interested in your opinion on with this hardware:

- What's the key pressing on the keyboard like?

o Is it similar to a mechanical keyboard, or perhaps more like a laptop?

o Do you have to spend much effort to press the keys?

o Are there any problems with bouncing on them?

o How does the plastic of them feel? Good quality or poor?

- How's the mouse?

o Do you have to do a lot of effort with settings for mouse sensitivity?

o Does it have any problems or issues on multiple surfaces? What surfaces have you tried?

- How's the power supply?

o Do you get any brownout warnings with it supplied?

o Does it seem to throttle the performance of the hardware at all?

- How's the Raspberry Pi?

o Does it perform as well as you'd hope?

o Does it overheat in the Pi Case you're using for the applications you're using it for?

o Did you have any difficulties in setting it up or putting it into the case housing?

- What's the book like?

o Does it pace itself well?

o Does it read clearly?

o Did you do any projects from it, follow through with it?

o Were there many errors or problems with following the book?

- How's the SDCard?

o What class is it?

o Are there any performance limitations?

o What software does it come with?

- What do you need for your applications?

o You've setup with FlightRadar, what internet connection do you need?

o Does it need to always be on? Can you disconnect?

o What does it give you? What're the benefits?

o Do you have your Pi doing anything else while it's doing that?

o How're you going to expand on that project?

o How do the applications you've chosen use the rest of the hardware given in the kit? If not, why use it for that application?

This would be a good amount of detail to enter for a review

• Dubbie,

I downloaded the OS from flightradar24 and followed the steps here: https://www.flightradar24.com/build-your-own

I also purchased an ADS-B receiver to plug into the Raspberry pi. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009U7WZCA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Once I got everything set up it started feeding data to flightradar. Very simple.

• David,

I am interested in details of the application. I have a Raspberry Pi already.

Dubbie

• The detail in regard to the application? Or the kit?

• I recommend this kit. The devices provided are of high quality in my opinion. I was able to hook up everything provided to my TV set.

• Can you provide us with an assessment of the quality of the items provided, such as the keyboard, mouse and physical components?

I look forward to seeing the results of your long term project, but I think many members would like to know if the basic kit is worth the money.

DAB

• It is very nice packaging. Looks an interesting application. Is there any more detail?

Dubbie