element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products
    Products
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
Community Hub
Community Hub
Member's Forum Avatars
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Quiz
  • Events
  • Leaderboard
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join Community Hub to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • Replies 25 replies
  • Subscribers 624 subscribers
  • Views 3360 views
  • Users 0 members are here
  • avatars
Related

Avatars

dougw
dougw over 2 years ago

I have started changing my avatar when doing a big project to something related to the current project. For example currently my avatar is a running man image of Mr. Pentium from my Upcycling IoT Design Challenge project.

It is a bit disappointing that the system cannot remember older avatars or allow a number of avatars to be uploaded into a pool to choose from..

Is avatar switching a good way to keep the forum more dynamic and more interesting? Or just a bad idea?

Is the project related avatar a nice touch or a total non-issue?

Or is it just confusing with no value add?

Is avatar recognition useful (so important not to change) or in some fashion a comfortable aspect of avatars? 

Do you find it painful to setup an Avatar or even undesirable?

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
  • phoenixcomm
    phoenixcomm over 2 years ago in reply to kmikemoo

     kmikemoo so that's how you lost your hair...  image image

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +3 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • phoenixcomm
    phoenixcomm over 2 years ago

     dougw  I guess Im with beacon_dave , and the other guys on the subject. A long time ago they gave you points to change your avatar, to something/somebody in Star Wars (It should have been Star Trek, Star Wars sucked, especially after the stupid bar seen and the music) So I used Obi-Wan Kenobi aka Sir Alec Guinness, I have kept it ever since!. Also in my posts, I usually put a picture of the SR-71, glorious in the air! and old and wrinkled on the ground... ~~Cris

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • beacon_dave
    beacon_dave over 2 years ago in reply to electronicbiker

    Perhaps place a safe zone around your avatar image such that the rectangle fits within a circle crop.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • electronicbiker
    electronicbiker over 2 years ago

    My avatar is supposed to be shown in a rectangular frame but it is displayed on these pages in a circular frame. So the corners are cropped to such an extent that it looks - well, wrong. Being a 'newby' I wasn't going to say anything, but now the subject has been brought up I will just say that I'm a bit disappointed with the lack of consistency.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • stanto
    stanto over 2 years ago

    I prefer to set an avatar, it can help to distinguish yourself from automated bot spam.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • colporteur
    colporteur over 2 years ago

    You have way more on the ball then I do. The changes keep it fresh. Since I am an individual that is not comfortable with change, it rarely appears in my work.

    I get satisfaction from learning how to do it, then learning how to do it right and then making changes to make it efficient. Right and efficient my one two combination.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • dang74
    dang74 over 2 years ago

    I had noticed that your avatar had changed recently.  I suspected that it was some tie-in that would eventually make sense.  This was the case previously with the little baseball cap with the Superman logo on it.  It was mysterious at first but then it all made sense once your Super Cap projects were unveiled.

    In terms of whether it's good to change avatars or keep them the same, I think that decision is up to the individual.  The Super Cap thing was very cool by the way.  This was, in part, due to the nice little a-ha moment I had once its meaning was understood.

    I've been busy as of late and not keeping up with all the happenings at e14, but I should set some time aside to check out the entries for the Upcycling challenge.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • kmikemoo
    kmikemoo over 2 years ago

    I'm with beacon_dave that I use the avatar to make sure I'm @mentioning the right person.

    I change my avatar at work every year.
    image     image    image

    As you can see, they're wearing me down. LaughingJoy

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • dougw
    dougw over 2 years ago in reply to beacon_dave

    That is why my normal avatar is a close crop of my face - it is a bit more recognizable when shrunk all the way down.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • dougw
    dougw over 2 years ago in reply to robogary

    I will always go back to a standard avatar after a temporary project avatar has run its course.

    I recall element14 once asked us to temporarily change our avatar.

    Trivia question:

    Was the whole Despicable Me Minion fad on element14 initiated by element14?

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
<>
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube