element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
Community Hub
Community Hub
Member's Forum "What courses were most and least useful to you in your engineering career?"
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Quiz
  • Events
  • Leaderboard
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join Community Hub to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • Replies 21 replies
  • Subscribers 634 subscribers
  • Views 1711 views
  • Users 0 members are here
Related

"What courses were most and least useful to you in your engineering career?"

danzima
danzima over 8 years ago

Hey there, community! It's a pretty muggy Friday here in Chicago, but also it's Friday, so on the whole things are good.

 

One of our Chicago colleagues is writing an article for another publication on the topic "What courses were most and least useful to you in your engineering career?", and he thought it would be interesting to get input from our community, so I wanted to open the question up to the members area.

Any response that makes it into the article will be credited to you, so maybe that'll be the start of your second career as a public intellectual and you'll wind up doing TED talks in Palm Springs soon enough?

 

Thanks in advance for your input!

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
  • shabaz
    shabaz over 8 years ago

    Hi Daniel!

     

    I feel the same as Gene, in that pretty much all courses were useful. Some vocational stuff can become obsolete quickly though.

    Bullets successfully dodged: B-ISDN, Microsoft certifications.

    Flak that hit me: I spent some time learning some voice technologies that are now obsolete - but still it was useful for a while, and was a spring-board to other stuff.

    Most useful for finding jobs for me: Micro-controllers and digital design, computer architecture, assembler, C - I felt a bit fake for the first year in my first real software engineering job, since I only knew C and assembler and no real computer science or engineering stuff, but I stuck at it for a few years, and read as much as I could, not just on language but also techniques and design patterns, did a formal course on server admin to use the machines at my disposal properly, and finally was confident enough to realise I was doing adequately, and that there are plenty of other things I'd picked up that helped in the job - such as some maths, and some knowledge of how processors worked.

     

    If I have to pick the least useful course from uni, for me personally it was accounting, I was just not interested in it and it showed in my test result (22%! : ) But apart from that, everything was either useful or interesting to me.

     

    I still try to select courses and webinars these days too, typically just single-day courses.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • jack.chaney56
    jack.chaney56 over 8 years ago in reply to DAB

    At the risk of sounding old...

     

    First job was running the tape library in operations.

    In college, they hired me in to work the batch station, to answer questions, when the questions I was asking, couldn't be answered by the people in the batch station (no good deed goes unpunished).

    Wrestled with a PDP-11 for a while.

    Wrote video games for a while (old 8 bit Atari/Commodore stuff as well as 8088 PC)

    Keep a slide rule around for the apocalypse.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +3 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • genebren
    genebren over 8 years ago in reply to DAB

    Wow!  I went straight to the 5 Mbyte hard drive (both washing machine size and years later a card-based solution for an IBM PC).  I remember doing multiple pass assembler programming with paper tape (teletype).  It didn't take too long before I wrote my own magnetic tape assembler, with a CRT editor.

     

    Gene

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • jack.chaney56
    jack.chaney56 over 8 years ago in reply to jack.chaney56

    Oh, right, there are two parts to the question. Least valuable to my Engineering experience, perhaps the English Literature class that did an in-depth study of "The Great Gatsby". (I'm sure to get some blowback for that one)

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • DAB
    DAB over 8 years ago in reply to genebren

    I too have done the cards, slow and high speed paper tapes, DecTapes, Magnetic Tapes. First hard drive had all of 64 Kwords capacity. Thought I had hit the big time when we upgraded to a 1.2 Mbyte hard disk.

     

    How the times have changed over the decades.

     

    DAB

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • genebren
    genebren over 8 years ago in reply to jack.chaney56

    Jack,

     

    I did not drop the stack, but the runner who took the cards off-site to be processed did, in a puddle.  We got back a waterlogged, random stack of punch cards.  Yeah!

     

    I used punch cards and tapes for several years (military and aviation were slow adopters of technology).

     

    Gene

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • jack.chaney56
    jack.chaney56 over 8 years ago in reply to genebren

    Hey Gene,

    Ever drop a stack of cards?  I dropped a Cobol box the day before the project was due... fun times.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +5 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • jack.chaney56
    jack.chaney56 over 8 years ago

    Surprisingly enough... typing.  All the loop circuit stuff and antenna field concepts are all stuff that I go back to, because each new idea has a refinement that makes the stuff I learned long ago, a bit outdated. However, learning to poke buttons on an old Selectric hasn't changed (except for the spacing of the keys).  I did however play a little with Dvorak but always drifted back to qwerty.  For the amount of source code generation I have done over the years in assemblers of all types and C, Pascal, Java, Ruby, and now Python, I find being able to type well and not do the two finger dance, has proven to be most valuable.

     

    Jack

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +7 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • DAB
    DAB over 8 years ago

    Without a doubt, my technical writing class became the most useful in my career.

    Being able to communicate technical ideas with all ranges of people makes a huge difference to your career options.

    There were better engineers than I, but my superior communication skills gave me the edge, especially since I could describe complex ideas in simple terms with management. Trust me, managers do not fund projects they do not understand, so you really need to simplify ideas down into basic terms.

     

    After considerable thought, I would say there were no least useful classes. Being a systems engineer I was tossed into a wide range of projects and I ended up using just about everything I learned in school. You just never know what tidbit of knowledge will come in handy.

     

    DAB

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +6 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • rsc
    rsc over 8 years ago

    This could be fun.....

    Let's start with the least valuable classes.  Under the topic of "general electives" we were required to take PE classes.  I would have to say that my 3 terms of ice skating classes were the least valuable to my engineering career.  The bowling class comes in second, but was more fun overall.

     

    Most valuable: Logic Design, Structured PASCAL, and working in the University theatre as "Special Effects Master"  I used a Sinclair ZX80 to control the theatre light board system (thousands of watts per channel), along with several hundred red LEDs for "rats eyes" embedded in the stage.

     

    Scott

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +5 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
<>
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube