Review of PiFace Digital

Table of contents

RoadTest: PiFace Digital

Author: bleachin

Creation date:

Evaluation Type: Evaluation Boards

Did you receive all parts the manufacturer stated would be included in the package?: True

What other parts do you consider comparable to this product?: gertboard, cobbler to name a couple

What were the biggest problems encountered?: Finding documentation was originally a problem. Luckily I stumbled across a page here on the element14 site

Detailed Review:

This is the first time that I have been lucky to get onto a road test. After an initial wait due to supply issues I was very excited when my device finally landed on my door step.

It comes in a nice small box but sadly, at the time I got mine, it had no documentation and no link to anything. Although the first time I look I failed to find anything a few weeks later with more time on my hands it appeared that teh whole wolrd was starting to play with the device. Installation, connection and basic programming instructions can be found at

http://www.element14.com/community/docs/DOC-53057/l/piface-get-started-guide

Its profile is a match for the Pi and pushing it onto the GPIO pins is not too tight but certainly feels secure. The device (the relays) increase the overall height by approx 15 mm. This should make it very easy to find a case for it. Pictures below show the device, how it fits on teh Pi and then with everything connected.

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Following the instructions in the PDF, using my Raspian os that I had already set up was very easy and everything was up and running very quickly. A simple run of the command "piface/scripts/piface-emulator" and the emulator was up and running.

Press the override button and you can then test everything is working correctly. Output pin 0 and the appropriate led should light up. It s a nice way of checking that you have installed everythign correctly and that the device is operating.image

More to come on this road test soon.....

Anonymous