Ben,
Can you post all the g-code for your CNC router components? I would like to attempt building your design.
And any source code.
Also, is it absolutely necessary to use another microcontroller between the PC and the stepper drivers?
Cabe
Ben,
Can you post all the g-code for your CNC router components? I would like to attempt building your design.
And any source code.
Also, is it absolutely necessary to use another microcontroller between the PC and the stepper drivers?
Cabe
I will get the drawings onto element14 today. Sorry I was travelling when Episode 2 actually launched.
RE: g-code interpeter, yes, you don't always need one. Mach3 is a program which can drive a CNC directly through the parallel port, using 5 volt signals to pulse step and dir.
However I tend to go towards more embedded solutions, as my pinball machine will attest to.
I will get the drawings onto element14 today. Sorry I was travelling when Episode 2 actually launched.
RE: g-code interpeter, yes, you don't always need one. Mach3 is a program which can drive a CNC directly through the parallel port, using 5 volt signals to pulse step and dir.
However I tend to go towards more embedded solutions, as my pinball machine will attest to.
A few questions and comments and possible suggestions about the mini CNC machine show segments....
I have watched both segements of TBHS show thus far and find it quite a refreshing take on techie based building or making compared to much of what I have found in internet podcasts as of recent. Great show and definitely keep up the awesome work. I have a couple of questions about the router design shown in the second show segment. #1. What type of material or polymer board is/was used in the routing and fabrication process? I did not pickup any specific mention of what the white material stock was although it looks somewhat like a high density polystyrene sheeting. and #2 What type of bearing or bushing is used on the sliding rail or rods or is it just dependent on the polymer sheeting being somewhat close toleranced machined, self-lubricating and having a low frictional co-efficient? I am a machine and automation dabbler and thought I might try build a couple of CNC decks based off this design with a few tweaks and enhancements for a couple of my family members and a friend of mine. I have been building a couple of gantry or bridge type machine tables as well as doing a automating retrofit of a couple of low cost Chinese made bench top mills and a mini lathe for my own use. Thought I might put my gear to use making some units for couple of my family members and a good friend who are in need of something like this mini portable CNC router unit and dont want to have the expense, headaches and complexity of the type of equipment I normally work with.
I also wanted to recommend a couple of potential tweaks to the design if they haven't already been considered or included such as use of some sleeve or roller ball bushing bearings on the base plates where all the linear travel guides or rods are supported and traveling. These are available at various places for a rather modest cost versus traditional industrial type and cost linear rail/truck systems such as THK or NSK and provide plenty ample enough accuracy for hobbyist or craftsperson type CNC applications. Also it is possible to make leadscrew nuts from Delrin, UHMW or other such Nylon polymers to improve the travel linearity and virtually eliminate backlash for this sort of machine build-up. Although I typically work with a small mill or lathe to do threading/tapping such as this- most modders probably have plenty good enough tools on hand such as a dremel and a suitable press stand for it or a small shop drill press to do the necessary accuracy drillouts for improving or tweaking the linearity or accuracy and might only need to additionally purchase a few threading taps and a hand tapping tool or a tapping kit to create mating threading to make acme leadsrew or "All-Thread" work with backlash tolerances very nearly approaching the thousandths per inch range.