element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
element14's The Ben Heck Show
  • Challenges & Projects
  • element14 presents
  • element14's The Ben Heck Show
  • More
  • Cancel
element14's The Ben Heck Show
Forum Viewer Challenge - iPhone 360 Controller
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join element14's The Ben Heck Show to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • Replies 22 replies
  • Subscribers 29 subscribers
  • Views 1778 views
  • Users 0 members are here
Related

Viewer Challenge - iPhone 360 Controller

e14 Contributor
e14 Contributor over 16 years ago

You're the master of hardware, but how about software?

 

I challenge you to build an app for the iPhone that will work in conjunction with a small chip-based converter that will allow the iPhone's touch screen to work as a controller for an Xbox 360. It can connect either wired over the standard USB connection for the 360, or, for a real challenge, wirelessly over the Bluetooth standard connection

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
  • e14 Contributor
    e14 Contributor over 15 years ago in reply to e14 Contributor

    If the transistor is switched on fully then there should be very little drop across is so I think you can cross that idea off the list.

    Sorry I should have explained the images, that is a probe of the pad on the controller. The micro in the controller is switching the line, I guess multiplexing of some sort.

     

    I guess it's wired like:

    image

    rather than how we thought like this:

    image

    If I get what you're saying then I sounds like it should be working no problem - the only thing I can think of is that the 4066 is distorting the signal enough that the micro doesn't see it as a button push.

    Can you point me to the datasheet of the chip you are using?

    Off to sleep now but will have a look over the datasheet tomorrow and see if I can suggest anything else image

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • e14 Contributor
    e14 Contributor over 15 years ago in reply to e14 Contributor

    Here's the 74HC4066

     

    http://www.solarbotics.com/assets/datasheets/74hct4066.pdf

     

    Pardon my long wires (for positioning) and crapphy photo, but you can see:

     

    http://silence.sarcasm.com/chip_001.JPG

     

    That's the circuit. Orange black are on the 360 controller end. Yellow is from the output board, it's pulled high, and the red coming from that same board is 5v usb power and it's powering the chips. The yellow goes into an inverter (74HC04), the red jumps down to the 74HC4066 enable line, and the black/orange should complete the circuit. I can click the button I made in my program to toggle that yellow line low, and when that happens I get continuity on the two pins where I have orange/black.

     

    I was thinking of maybe substituting a quad channel opto that has the same basic pinout as the 4066, the datasheet is here:

     

    http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/45325/SIEMENS/ILQ74.html

     

    It's the 4 channel version.

     

    Let me know what you think.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • e14 Contributor
    e14 Contributor over 15 years ago in reply to e14 Contributor

    Sorry I haven't had a chance to look this over yet but I will be in the labs tomorrow where there's a selection of IC's so I'll have a look see if I can pick one out and see if I can get it up and running with my pad.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • e14 Contributor
    e14 Contributor over 15 years ago in reply to e14 Contributor

    Wow. Thanks!

     

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ4NAZPi2js

     

    Heh

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • e14 Contributor
    e14 Contributor over 15 years ago in reply to e14 Contributor

    Just managed to pick up a MM74HC4066N. Playing around with a sig gen, with the enable line pulled low I still get a 0.76v replica coming out the other side, I'll test it out with my pad when I get back home later.

    Keep you posted.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • e14 Contributor
    e14 Contributor over 15 years ago

    I come bearing good and bad news!

    Using the chip I picked up earlier I have got my pad working fine - that's the good news, the bad - I don't know why your's isn't.

    Rather than using the usb and inverter have you tested it just tying the enable on the 4066 high and low? I that works then it's a problem with the inverter and usb if not I'm not really sure where to start - the software you are using confirms the pad works when connected with a piece of wire? Do you have another pad to try?

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • e14 Contributor
    e14 Contributor over 15 years ago in reply to e14 Contributor

    And those are crazy long wires and an interesting colour choice for the wires lol image

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • e14 Contributor
    e14 Contributor over 15 years ago in reply to e14 Contributor

    Hmm. What are you using? Standard Xbox 360 wireless controller?

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • e14 Contributor
    e14 Contributor over 15 years ago in reply to e14 Contributor

    The wired one, I believe the newer ones are slightly different, mines quite old so will be the earlier one.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • e14 Contributor
    e14 Contributor over 15 years ago in reply to e14 Contributor

    ok. i'm out of town from tomorrow until next tuesday, so I'll try again after that. thanks for verifying that i'm not crazy and had the right idea.

     

    are you controlling the line from something? not that it matters, just wondering.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
<>
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube