element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
element14's The Ben Heck Show
  • Challenges & Projects
  • element14 presents
  • element14's The Ben Heck Show
  • More
  • Cancel
element14's The Ben Heck Show
Forum Ubuntu 10.10
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join element14's The Ben Heck Show to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • Replies 6 replies
  • Subscribers 29 subscribers
  • Views 548 views
  • Users 0 members are here
  • Ubuntu
  • thoughts
  • 10.10
Related

Ubuntu 10.10

e14 Contributor
e14 Contributor over 15 years ago

I don't know if we're really allowed to have discussion here besides ''request'', But what is everyones thought on it? I just requested my CD Copy. Going to put it on my spare Pentium4, Which is currently running Ubuntu 9.0.4

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
  • e14 Contributor
    e14 Contributor over 15 years ago

    CD? Didn't know they still used those sort of things lol. Download and put on a usb stick for me any day - rarely have my cd/dvd drive hooked up any more. If some new hardware comes with a cd I usually do a search on the net first and more often than not there's a new version online. Do you have slow/limited internet?

    I've used 10.10, it's as solid as usual, I don't regularly have it running as it's usually more of a tool for getting things fixed when Windows can't cut the mustard. I have recently stripped down an old laptop which I will be installing it on which should bring the old beast back to life.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • e14 Contributor
    e14 Contributor over 15 years ago in reply to e14 Contributor

    You can upgrade without using a cd via the net and all your data s/b intact. Bkup for sure. We quit using MS four years ago and have not looked back.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • e14 Contributor
    e14 Contributor over 15 years ago in reply to e14 Contributor

    I use the disk, Because i like using the disk, That and ive currently moved and don't have room on my externals and, I feel like a disk if more faithful you have corrupt downloads etc, It's easier for me personally so, I prefer it

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • e14 Contributor
    e14 Contributor over 15 years ago in reply to e14 Contributor

    On new systems, I do use the disk also. There is nothing wrong with using the disk, just trying to save you some possible hassle. On the factory or disks V9.04 directly from ubuntu are screwed up. A downloaded disk with a good checksum verification should be ok.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • e14 Contributor
    e14 Contributor over 15 years ago in reply to e14 Contributor

    Just performed an upgrade to 10.10 .  So far so good.  I don't get thumbnail previews of raw pics in the new Snapwell program, but they still import fine.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • e14 Contributor
    e14 Contributor over 15 years ago in reply to e14 Contributor

    Yeah I agree with you about the corrupt downloads - I was thinking more about the download and burn to cd route, I've had too many problems with that but didn't have the patience to wait for a cd. I think they should start supplying software on usb sticks - much more useful and you can always update it with the latest version - I guess it would be down to cost though at the end of the day.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube