Having seen the Shop Bot on Heck's show, I was wondering how it compaired to the mini CNC router heck made in his show?
Is the time and energy worth investing in making my own CNC, or should I just break down, and buy a manufactured CNC router?
Having seen the Shop Bot on Heck's show, I was wondering how it compaired to the mini CNC router heck made in his show?
Is the time and energy worth investing in making my own CNC, or should I just break down, and buy a manufactured CNC router?
It really depends on what you want to use the machine for.
Building a CNC machine can be a lot of fun but unless you are prepared to put a lot of time and effort into it you will be lucky to match the performance of a commercial unit.
People tend to focus on the mechanical aspecs of the unit but there are many other things that have to be considered. Control electronics, software, etc.
When you buy something you usually get all that junk in a form that's tested and supported. When you DIY it that's all up to you.
Its totally possible and a lot of fun to do, but if your more intersted in a well functioning CNC then your better off, in my opinion, buying one.
-- Chris
Excatly, I love to tinker so for me building one is a fun idea. It will never work as well as one as you can buy, I have no illusions to that.
Excatly, I love to tinker so for me building one is a fun idea. It will never work as well as one as you can buy, I have no illusions to that.