Having seen the Shop Bot on Heck's show, I was wondering how it compaired to the mini CNC router heck made in his show?
Is the time and energy worth investing in making my own CNC, or should I just break down, and buy a manufactured CNC router?
Having seen the Shop Bot on Heck's show, I was wondering how it compaired to the mini CNC router heck made in his show?
Is the time and energy worth investing in making my own CNC, or should I just break down, and buy a manufactured CNC router?
I have also been looking to build my own CNC, but at the end I bought a cheapo chinese CNC router and it works like a charm.
I am thinking now about to make a smaller one - mine is a 6040 - to do PCB routing at home.
But if you are looking for a CNC capable of cutting some alu and hardish materials, you can't match the chinese prices even making your own device.
The worse they have is the electronics, but there is always time to buy a Gecko controller and improve them.
The machine I got have Yoo-cnc electronics. They are not good at all but the machine is enough accurate to cut identical aluminium sheet pieces. It loses some steps when you use it to make large PCBs but for small PCBs and connectors it works quite well.
The spindle is a liquid cooled professional 0.8 KW with variator, not a dremel like device as many low cost CNCs in the market.
So the only real advice I can give you is ... take ... your ... time.
Think about what you want to do with it:
If you are sure of what you want and ready to expend the time and money, congratulations ... to be able to sketch one idea, design it, cut it and mount it is one of the most rewarding things i have done in my life.
The model I have is very close to this one http://www.carving-cnc.com/cnc6040-series/cnc-6040z-s80-new-router-engraver-drilling-and-milling-machine.html same bed, and motors, different electronics and spindle. I did not bought it on this seller but on eBay.
As you can see you can't even get close to those prices even making it yourself, so make your own if you fancy it, want to learn and as a very nice project, but not to get it cheaper.
I have also been looking to build my own CNC, but at the end I bought a cheapo chinese CNC router and it works like a charm.
I am thinking now about to make a smaller one - mine is a 6040 - to do PCB routing at home.
But if you are looking for a CNC capable of cutting some alu and hardish materials, you can't match the chinese prices even making your own device.
The worse they have is the electronics, but there is always time to buy a Gecko controller and improve them.
The machine I got have Yoo-cnc electronics. They are not good at all but the machine is enough accurate to cut identical aluminium sheet pieces. It loses some steps when you use it to make large PCBs but for small PCBs and connectors it works quite well.
The spindle is a liquid cooled professional 0.8 KW with variator, not a dremel like device as many low cost CNCs in the market.
So the only real advice I can give you is ... take ... your ... time.
Think about what you want to do with it:
If you are sure of what you want and ready to expend the time and money, congratulations ... to be able to sketch one idea, design it, cut it and mount it is one of the most rewarding things i have done in my life.
The model I have is very close to this one http://www.carving-cnc.com/cnc6040-series/cnc-6040z-s80-new-router-engraver-drilling-and-milling-machine.html same bed, and motors, different electronics and spindle. I did not bought it on this seller but on eBay.
As you can see you can't even get close to those prices even making it yourself, so make your own if you fancy it, want to learn and as a very nice project, but not to get it cheaper.