Having seen the Shop Bot on Heck's show, I was wondering how it compaired to the mini CNC router heck made in his show?
Is the time and energy worth investing in making my own CNC, or should I just break down, and buy a manufactured CNC router?
Having seen the Shop Bot on Heck's show, I was wondering how it compaired to the mini CNC router heck made in his show?
Is the time and energy worth investing in making my own CNC, or should I just break down, and buy a manufactured CNC router?
I suggest doing a lot of research before you start.
I'm in the process of building my 2nd CNC router and the first time it worked... but just not as good as I would have liked.
Now, I'm buying the components that made my first attempt less accurate and/or hard to adjust.
You also need to keep in mind that the bigger the size the larger your wallet needs to be.
My first unit was 36"x24"x6" and made of MDF, Aluminum and skate bearings (www.buildyourcnc.com).
The 2nd unit is using 20mm linear bearings for more controled movement and commercial lead screws.
Although this is a more expensive way of doing this, it will pay off in the end if you plan to use it for more than light use.
I'll be posting my SketchUp plans soon so everyone can take a peek.
I suggest doing a lot of research before you start.
I'm in the process of building my 2nd CNC router and the first time it worked... but just not as good as I would have liked.
Now, I'm buying the components that made my first attempt less accurate and/or hard to adjust.
You also need to keep in mind that the bigger the size the larger your wallet needs to be.
My first unit was 36"x24"x6" and made of MDF, Aluminum and skate bearings (www.buildyourcnc.com).
The 2nd unit is using 20mm linear bearings for more controled movement and commercial lead screws.
Although this is a more expensive way of doing this, it will pay off in the end if you plan to use it for more than light use.
I'll be posting my SketchUp plans soon so everyone can take a peek.