Hey Ben,
Huge fan of The Ben Heck Show!
I have a question for you.
What would be your recommendation for an electronics lab kit for someone fairly inclined with computers/programming to get started with?
I've noticed the 300-in-1 and even the 500-in-1 kits, but they seem like they were made in the early '80s and have not been updated since.
What I'm looking for, and maybe you could team up with element 14 to create this, would be a kit that would include following:
• DC Circuits
• AC Circuits
• Capacitors
• Diodes
• Transistors
• Solid State Devices
• Amplifiers
• AM/FM Communications
• Pulses and Wave shaping
• Instrumentation/Control Circuits
• Resistors
• Switches
• Inductors
• Transformers
• FET's / MOSFET's
• Speakers
• Processor (Arduino perhaps?)
• LCD
• Camera
• Prototyping Board (Like the Arduino ProtoShield Bare PCBs)
• And of course, a selection of Tools
So, I realize some of the stuff above may be redundant but I'm basically looking to get into electronics and processor programming.
I do like how the actual 300-in-1 kits have the spring clips that seem to work ok for understanding concepts, but I'd also like to be able to solder an actual circuit but be able to re-use the board.
From what I've seen in the little research I've done is that most of the kits lack the LCD/Camera and the use of a processor.
Maybe it could be a challenge you could do for a show?
The Ben Heck Electronics Lab Kit
Otherwise, if you or anyone else you know, element 14 perhaps, have any recommendations as to what the best kit would be to get started, I'm open to suggestions.
Thanks!
-Kurt