element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
element14's The Ben Heck Show
  • Challenges & Projects
  • element14 presents
  • element14's The Ben Heck Show
  • More
  • Cancel
element14's The Ben Heck Show
Forum I am trying to build the thinest 360 laptop ever!
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join element14's The Ben Heck Show to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • Replies 12 replies
  • Subscribers 34 subscribers
  • Views 1059 views
  • Users 0 members are here
Related

I am trying to build the thinest 360 laptop ever!

killarshark33
killarshark33 over 15 years ago

After getting some help from darkuncle33, I have began to draw up plans for the thinest xbox 360 laptop to date.  Hist is under 2 inches and I have the ambition to get it under 1.5 inches.  My goal is to get it to 1 inch but I will settle for 1.5 inches.  It will require heavy modding and I may not finish for a while due to school, but I will hopefully have it done by november and I plan to sell it when I finish.  This will be a 15 inch model making it extremley small.  But I need some input:  I have the wireing for Jtagin a slim should I jtag a xbox 360 laptop?  Also obviously the thinner i go we are going to start losing port so I think i will have 2 USB optical hdmi and external monitor inputs.  The hardest part will be the dvd drive as I have no idea what I can shave off of it.  The heatsink I can work with or even make my own.  If you guys have any sugestions please tell.  Finally I will be documenting the entire process via live streams and youtube videos, I will figure that out later though.  Thanks for any help!

 

Notes:

 

No CNC will be used only the shop tools I have.

I plan to use Aluminum.  I thought about acrylic but decided not to as when you dremel it the stuff melts and you do not get clean cuts.

Also tell me what a fair price you would pay as I would want to sell it so I could make another one for myself. 

    --Price if it is under 1 inch and price it is 1.5 inches.

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
Parents
  • killarshark33
    killarshark33 over 15 years ago

    Yeah the dvd drive there is no wqay to make it skinnier without tons of labor so I am just going to make it as skinng as i can with the dvd drive.  Also mine is a 15.4 inch monitor which is going to be a pain in the butt trying to cram everything in there especially because the driver board for the monitor is about 6x3 inches.  If anyone has any smaller 20pin driver boards for a coby monitor let me know where to get one. (the screen is lg, i think Coby and LG are the same company)

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Reply
  • killarshark33
    killarshark33 over 15 years ago

    Yeah the dvd drive there is no wqay to make it skinnier without tons of labor so I am just going to make it as skinng as i can with the dvd drive.  Also mine is a 15.4 inch monitor which is going to be a pain in the butt trying to cram everything in there especially because the driver board for the monitor is about 6x3 inches.  If anyone has any smaller 20pin driver boards for a coby monitor let me know where to get one. (the screen is lg, i think Coby and LG are the same company)

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Children
No Data
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube