I watched the Ultimate Alarm Clock episode because I've been looking for the ULTIMATE alarm clock to build..
Accessible? Yes.. nice controls for people who are wearing oven mits to bed.. however a few things were missing from what I'd consider the best alarm clock:
- iOS connector to charge and pull music as alarm
- Speakers for alarm that can use iOS device for sound
- Shaker driver (or two) via standard connector when switched to 'silent mode' or 'dual mode'
- Day of week selection of alarm (select multiple days)
I like how Ben Heck started the project.. and setting the alarm in the day of week mode I can imagine clicking the button to perhaps 'select' a day of the week then being able to set one or multiple days for the alarm.. but since pressing the button selects modes that would have to be a rethought method of controls entirely..
I've searched a lot for an alarm clock like this and figured I'd have to build my own some time, the shakers I find on the market for silent waking (baby in another room) or dual mode sound+shaking for heavy sleepers or waking from a short nap.
Bed Shaker:
Everyone has heard of the Sonic Bomb alarm? Made by Sonic Alert (sonicalert.com) they also sell the bed shakers themselves that can be connected and powered separately:
http://www.sonicalert.com/alarm-clocks-accessories.html
Idealy I'd skip the purchase and driving an external self-built bed shaker using vibration componets and the clock can have a port to jack into this separate thing to be placed under the pillow/bed that is self-powered (clock simply gives on/off command to it).
I've also found small dime sized vibrators that could be put in a wristband with a small power source but was undecided on signal to send and it made things more complex..
But isn't complex good?
Shaker creation, iOS charging and sound/music for 'alarm' to play, controlling the shaker under the bed or wirelessly controlling a shaking wristband..
The only thing I'd add to the list is a his/hers alarm using the wristbands and dual iOS connectors.
Personally I'm only good with software.. I watch Ben Heck for putting together hardware and going from there.. however I'd REALLY love to see him tackle the 'ultimate alarm clock' that is more than just accessible for people making just the physical controls better.