Morning Ben,
While a big fan let me start by saying that I am no engineer. I am the tech guy on a Federal Tactical team who can't leave anything alone and thanks to my OCD lives on his phone because I cannot leave any question unanswered for more than five minutes. I am currently working on a new form of tactical light but had a distraction when I saw that WICC is looking to be standardized in 2013 to get Tesla inspired cordless charging to most cell phones. I am currently mutilating PowerMat products to charge my three year old's toys and gadgets but was wondering if you could come up with a way of making a receiver card to sit between a cell phone battery and cover or glued on the outside of a cell case with a ribbon cable set between the battery connectors and prongs within the phone to charge cordlessly but still alow for wired charging without some easily broken cap on the micro usb charging port. If this was working it would open up a new world of now breaking charging ports when my kid grabs it, tangled cords, different cables for different phones, $90 phone docks that don't work on any other model or your own phone with a case or extended battery. I would also like to recommend more use of neodymium magnets to hold phones properly in a vertical dock using this kind of tech. Cell phones are becoming a necessity and an extension of ourselves. Charging the things shouldn't cost hundreds of dollars per device you own for item specific docks and chargers. Hope you like my idea.
Rantingly,
Che "MONK" Cook
P.S. I am incredibly jealous of your 3D printer. Do you know how hard it is making mock up flashlight housings using clay and kydex?