it would be amazing if you could design and build a gaming helmet (preferably a master cheif helmet, im a big halo fan).
it would be amazing if you could design and build a gaming helmet (preferably a master cheif helmet, im a big halo fan).
A pair of AV920's would be a good start, but really the technology isn't there yet - you can get sound and video as a pair of goggles, but it's kinda like peering through a letterbox - not the big, face encompasing image of the game that your probably hoping for...
http://www.vuzix.com/consumer/products_av920.html
I have a pair of VR920's - which are pretty much the same as the above, except 3D, and with head tracking, designed for VR applications on the PC - the AV920's should support your video output, but VR920's will not - they need 2 seperate VGA inputs (2 seperate screens, 1 for each eye - none of that switching malarky!). If anyone is intruiged about the VR920's, well don't be - the head tracking is just not good enough to be convincing, too much lag, uncomfortable, and not to mention expensive (like $400).
I actually had a pair of goggles that would have been pretty good - bigger visible image than my VR goggles, used a little transmitter box, lots of wires, and after a while your eyeballs dry up... but the biggest issue with those is how I'd always try moving my head to look around 
Anyway, just wanted to interject my experience with Vuzix goggles, perhaps it would be better to skip video for now, and work on a helmet with sound built in, that would be pretty cool I think - good sound system can make all the difference - maybe get a plastic chief helmet, and a pair of 5.1 headphones and a mic, and away you go. Personally, I can't see a closed helmet being very comfortable or pleasant to use for very long - hot display poaching your eyes while you inhale your own recycled breath and sweat.
A pair of AV920's would be a good start, but really the technology isn't there yet - you can get sound and video as a pair of goggles, but it's kinda like peering through a letterbox - not the big, face encompasing image of the game that your probably hoping for...
http://www.vuzix.com/consumer/products_av920.html
I have a pair of VR920's - which are pretty much the same as the above, except 3D, and with head tracking, designed for VR applications on the PC - the AV920's should support your video output, but VR920's will not - they need 2 seperate VGA inputs (2 seperate screens, 1 for each eye - none of that switching malarky!). If anyone is intruiged about the VR920's, well don't be - the head tracking is just not good enough to be convincing, too much lag, uncomfortable, and not to mention expensive (like $400).
I actually had a pair of goggles that would have been pretty good - bigger visible image than my VR goggles, used a little transmitter box, lots of wires, and after a while your eyeballs dry up... but the biggest issue with those is how I'd always try moving my head to look around 
Anyway, just wanted to interject my experience with Vuzix goggles, perhaps it would be better to skip video for now, and work on a helmet with sound built in, that would be pretty cool I think - good sound system can make all the difference - maybe get a plastic chief helmet, and a pair of 5.1 headphones and a mic, and away you go. Personally, I can't see a closed helmet being very comfortable or pleasant to use for very long - hot display poaching your eyes while you inhale your own recycled breath and sweat.