element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products
    Products
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
element14's The Ben Heck Show
  • Challenges & Projects
  • element14 presents
  • element14's The Ben Heck Show
  • More
  • Cancel
element14's The Ben Heck Show
Forum Challenge: Building a Custom Multi-Touch Display
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join element14's The Ben Heck Show to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • Replies 7 replies
  • Subscribers 31 subscribers
  • Views 964 views
  • Users 0 members are here
Related

Challenge: Building a Custom Multi-Touch Display

e14 Contributor
e14 Contributor over 14 years ago

While I would love for Ben to Attempt to build this and thus show me how to do so, I will also accept all help offered.

 

I have recently been given a challenge of my own to build.  A Star Trek Inspired Computer Desk.  While I have all the Computer Internals worked out for the most part on Paper, I have run into a snag that if overcome would make the desk truly out of Star Trek.  That happens to be the Keyboard and Mouse.  I would like to make them Part of the desktop. 

 

Here is what I mean:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/tdata/StarTrekDeskMk1_Desktop.png

 

Using A LightBox design that I have used for a while, I would like to have both the Areas outlined in Red and Blue be multi-touch Displays.  Why?  I want to be able to be able to Switch the Red sector to switch between a few screens, with Buttons that actually function for certain applications, and a standard Keyboard.  The Blue sector would just become a touch interface that reacts as though it were a trackpad when the Keyboard is the active Red sector.  Screens with touch capabilities are the only way I can seem to come up with.  I plan on using little beeps as the feedback, just like in the shows.

 

For reference, the keyboard area is 2' x 7" and the mouse area is 11"x 7".  The rest of it might just be a lightbox with a momentary button to change the red sector's mode.

 

Can this be done?  Do you have a better way?

 

I thought I would show the desk in its current stage:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/tdata/STDesk2-1.png

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
Parents
  • rodreig89kishore
    rodreig89kishore over 12 years ago

    Dude great work. image

    I myself was trying to replicate a multi screen touch pad by connecting it together.

    I looked at the costs it was staggering alone for 3 screen when i wanted 3*3 screen wide touch screen.

    I run a lot of applications on my laptop and my work is inventive and expansive and i need multiple screens to work simultaneously.
    if your project goes well do explain me the mechanism.
    If it fits my way of work then I be happy to purchase one when i get the money too.lol image

    TC

    P. KISHORE KUMAR

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Reply
  • rodreig89kishore
    rodreig89kishore over 12 years ago

    Dude great work. image

    I myself was trying to replicate a multi screen touch pad by connecting it together.

    I looked at the costs it was staggering alone for 3 screen when i wanted 3*3 screen wide touch screen.

    I run a lot of applications on my laptop and my work is inventive and expansive and i need multiple screens to work simultaneously.
    if your project goes well do explain me the mechanism.
    If it fits my way of work then I be happy to purchase one when i get the money too.lol image

    TC

    P. KISHORE KUMAR

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Children
No Data
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube