Have you incorporated 3D printed objects into any of your projects? What applications do you see for 3D printers?
Have you incorporated 3D printed objects into any of your projects? What applications do you see for 3D printers?
I think, given our natural instinct to build (and our superb 'oooh, this looks like i could make something cool' abilities), 3d printed products stand a good chance of being a staple of modders, builders and modellers in general for the forseeable future.
People have always been limited (in modelling, anyways) to either scratch-built parts made from funky foam (eh Ben?), art board or other materials, and not having the finished detail that some of the models need. These models, often bespoke and custom in nature, require an outlet where the modeller in question has effecively no restraints, only as far as his or her technical knowledge stretch in terms of the 3d print, and of course it's availability in that particular area of residence. Judging by the pieces I've seen so far (taking Ben's TARDIS into account) you can get as much or as little detail you like on said parts.
Personally, I'd love a 3d printer, and have even started a '3d printer fund' using funds from old stuff sold on ebay. This, with my new found love of solidworks, sketchup and now 123d, would mean that when creating dioramas, models or even mods to my consoles, I would have that creative juice 'poured' (excuse the plastruder pun) into a solid and tangible way to make the parts I need.
I guess this kind of thing even stetches as far as Games Workshop tables, parts and even custom-designed characters. The uses for such an item are effectively endless; either limited by the size of the 3d printer bed, or the ability to combine several components to make a whole, which would again be dependant on the creator.
I think, given our natural instinct to build (and our superb 'oooh, this looks like i could make something cool' abilities), 3d printed products stand a good chance of being a staple of modders, builders and modellers in general for the forseeable future.
People have always been limited (in modelling, anyways) to either scratch-built parts made from funky foam (eh Ben?), art board or other materials, and not having the finished detail that some of the models need. These models, often bespoke and custom in nature, require an outlet where the modeller in question has effecively no restraints, only as far as his or her technical knowledge stretch in terms of the 3d print, and of course it's availability in that particular area of residence. Judging by the pieces I've seen so far (taking Ben's TARDIS into account) you can get as much or as little detail you like on said parts.
Personally, I'd love a 3d printer, and have even started a '3d printer fund' using funds from old stuff sold on ebay. This, with my new found love of solidworks, sketchup and now 123d, would mean that when creating dioramas, models or even mods to my consoles, I would have that creative juice 'poured' (excuse the plastruder pun) into a solid and tangible way to make the parts I need.
I guess this kind of thing even stetches as far as Games Workshop tables, parts and even custom-designed characters. The uses for such an item are effectively endless; either limited by the size of the 3d printer bed, or the ability to combine several components to make a whole, which would again be dependant on the creator.