element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
element14's The Ben Heck Show
  • Challenges & Projects
  • element14 presents
  • element14's The Ben Heck Show
  • More
  • Cancel
element14's The Ben Heck Show
Forum Etching circuit boarda
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join element14's The Ben Heck Show to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • Replies 16 replies
  • Subscribers 33 subscribers
  • Views 2609 views
  • Users 0 members are here
Related

Etching circuit boarda

jds123
jds123 over 13 years ago

I've been thinking about etching my own boards for awhile now, and I am wondering about a few things.

  1. Which is better for the traces, UV paint boards or LaserJet Printer boards?
  2. Are there alternatives to LaserJet Printing for boards?
  3. Is it cost efficient?
  4. Where can I get the board to etch?
  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel

Top Replies

  • shabaz
    shabaz over 13 years ago in reply to jds123 +1
    I havn't done it in a while, but from experience, for good results, a photo-sensitive method is required where the image is on a transparent sheet. Other methods of transferring the pattern to the board…
  • benheck
    benheck over 13 years ago +1
    I haven't done this sort of thing before, but I wish you luck! I might try to squeeze a CNC PCB milling machine into Season 3
Parents
  • e14 Contributor
    e14 Contributor over 13 years ago

    Hi,

    Wanted to update on this. Received my kit and was able to make a couple of boards with it.  I might get/make an etchant tank to help with that part though. Otherwise process is pretty easy.  I follow Collin's process in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWnfnt2rNO0.  What's nice about the presenitized boards is you dont have manually prepare them like in toner method, worth the bit more for me.

     

    PS. I still hope "I might try to squeeze a CNC PCB milling machine into Season 3" can happen though. But if not season 4 please.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Reply
  • e14 Contributor
    e14 Contributor over 13 years ago

    Hi,

    Wanted to update on this. Received my kit and was able to make a couple of boards with it.  I might get/make an etchant tank to help with that part though. Otherwise process is pretty easy.  I follow Collin's process in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWnfnt2rNO0.  What's nice about the presenitized boards is you dont have manually prepare them like in toner method, worth the bit more for me.

     

    PS. I still hope "I might try to squeeze a CNC PCB milling machine into Season 3" can happen though. But if not season 4 please.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Children
No Data
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube