element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products
    Products
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
element14's The Ben Heck Show
  • Challenges & Projects
  • element14 presents
  • element14's The Ben Heck Show
  • More
  • Cancel
element14's The Ben Heck Show
Forum Question for Ben
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join element14's The Ben Heck Show to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • Replies 4 replies
  • Subscribers 31 subscribers
  • Views 419 views
  • Users 0 members are here
Related

Question for Ben

e14 Contributor
e14 Contributor over 13 years ago

Hello, I have enjoyed watching the show since it started. I am interested in building some projects similar to some that you have done, starting with a portable 3d printer. I have noticed that you have not been releasing parts lists recently. It would be very helpful for people like me that want ideas on how to get started and what we will need our own projects if you could start releasing you parts lists as well as files for some of the parts you design on your computer. I understand if you don't want a bunch of people copying what you have done, but they would be great for those that need something to get them going in the right direction.

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
Parents
  • samthefearful
    samthefearful over 12 years ago

    That's true.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Reply
  • samthefearful
    samthefearful over 12 years ago

    That's true.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Children
  • colecago
    colecago over 12 years ago in reply to samthefearful

    I doubt its related to people copying and more of the time it takes to clean up and fully document a project. The state that some of the files are in might raise more questions than answer

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • ckraft
    ckraft over 12 years ago in reply to colecago

    I think Colecago has it right. The few times I supplied content for the show I was rushing to hit the deadline. Then you finish and your rushing to get the next episode done. Cleaning up notes, code, writing documentation can take longer than it actually took to make the episode.

     

    Also sometimes the parts are whatever we have around. More than once we've raided my parts bins to make something work for an episode and it's only afterwards that we went back and tried to remember what the part was that we used. For example the gluegun episode used a drive gear that I gave Ben several months ago. He wasn't sure anymore where it came from but it was laying around so he used it for the episode. It wasn't until he decided to build a second one that he realized he wasn't sure where the part came from and had to call and ask.

     

    If your trying to get started with building a 3D printer I suggest going to reprap.org which is where I went to get started on building my first few printers. I still go there several times a week.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • e14 Contributor
    e14 Contributor over 12 years ago in reply to ckraft

    Having just returned from my shop,for a snack-break...I can understand the old idiom,"Parts is Parts?" I built a vacuum press using a vacuum pump+LI Ion Batt/charger,leftover from my last prosthetic leg. The only thing I needed was to make a V-grooved meter² platen and a polyurethane sack,plus some hoses and what-nots. I'm using this press to take some rather expensinsive wood veneers to make some custom cases for my Raspberry PiRegistered and devkits. I might even use some walnut burl on my 3D extruder?

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube