Hi Ben,
I have build idea for you. I was thinking that it would be neat to build a wireless pan/tilt,slide,elevation,zoom control for a dslr. I was thinking that maybe you could use an R/C 6 or 7channel transmitter to control the servos/motors that would control the position of the camera as well as the zoom lens and press the shutter as well. What would make this project even cooler, would be to add, say a wireless mini camera that is looking through the viewfinder of the dslr and then would transmit what it sees back to the person with the radio transmitter.
Maybe you could mod the handheld transmitter case to hold a 4" lcd that would display what the wireless camera is seeing through the dslr's viewfinder. Perhaps design both the controller end and the camera mount end to be switchable between battery control and AC control.
Thanks,
Kevin