element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
element14's The Ben Heck Show
  • Challenges & Projects
  • element14 presents
  • element14's The Ben Heck Show
  • More
  • Cancel
element14's The Ben Heck Show
Forum Every Parents Dream! - A Challenge for Ben Heck
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join element14's The Ben Heck Show to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • Replies 19 replies
  • Subscribers 33 subscribers
  • Views 1368 views
  • Users 0 members are here
Related

Every Parents Dream! - A Challenge for Ben Heck

timryder
timryder over 13 years ago

My name is Tim, I am a Controls Engineer, I design/program develop automation and robotics for a living. I have been following you for only 4 months now but I've watched everything you've made thus far and have LOVED IT!  I didn't go to school to learn Electrical Engineering I just picked up what I've learned on my own and through resources like you guys here at Element 14!  What a phenomenal program.  There are 2 parts to this e-mail.  I have dozens of ideas for devices I'd like to build and but just don't have the raw basic knowledge of the mass plethora of components out there.  I understand the electrical circuits and theories but the practical applications you can use many of the common IC's out there is where I'm lacking.  Like for example, a while ago on a show you mentioned that you had limited I/O available through an Arduino Uno, so to expand your capacity you added a Bit Shift Register IC which expanded your available I/O and you mentioned that you could basically expand it even more by adding more BSR IC's..... HOW!? This is what I'd love to see. A show dedicated to common components used in the electronics design industry and some uses for them.   This would expand my capabilities as a designer MUCH more.

 

Ok so my REAL challenge!

 

I am a father of 2 and 1 on the way.  I've had this idea for years that I just haven't been able to realize and I'd love to challenge you to make it work!

Design and build a device which can be programmed to record and playback IR commands from remote control devices like a TV or cable Box.  Then when called upon by pressing a kid friendly large button, playback those IR commands in order which will Turn On the TV and Cable Box, Change the Channel to a programmed one.  I think it would be necessary to have a key or some sort of button which would be needed in order to record the IR signals from the remote controls and a handy display to be used for programming it. I don't think you've ever done a show that features the use of IR sensors, this would be a neat one I think many people would repeat.

 

The overall idea is to make a device which would allow a small child 2-5 to be able to turn on their tv and watch their shows without a parents help.

 

What do think?

 

-Tim Ryder

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
Parents
  • benheck
    benheck over 13 years ago

    OK so the idea is a simple large button remote that turns on the TV and goes to a certain channel?

     

    Does it also turn off the TV?

     

    Current sensing could work. Also, if the TV has HDMI, you could probably detect the 5 volt line on that becoming active or something.

     

    Easy Kids Remote maybe? That could be the episode idea?

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • QuantumAberrant
    QuantumAberrant over 13 years ago in reply to benheck

    Does it also turn off the TV?


    I think the idea is that it's smart enough to "turn everything on that is not on and turn everything off that is not off" when it needs to.

     

    How about "Super Easy Remote". I know everyone in my house would appreciate it, not just the kids.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Reply
  • QuantumAberrant
    QuantumAberrant over 13 years ago in reply to benheck

    Does it also turn off the TV?


    I think the idea is that it's smart enough to "turn everything on that is not on and turn everything off that is not off" when it needs to.

     

    How about "Super Easy Remote". I know everyone in my house would appreciate it, not just the kids.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Children
No Data
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube