element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
element14's The Ben Heck Show
  • Challenges & Projects
  • element14 presents
  • element14's The Ben Heck Show
  • More
  • Cancel
element14's The Ben Heck Show
Forum Crazy PS2 to PC USB hub I want to make.
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join element14's The Ben Heck Show to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • Replies 4 replies
  • Subscribers 30 subscribers
  • Views 772 views
  • Users 0 members are here
  • mod
  • viewer
  • hardware
  • build
  • ps2
  • idea
  • Controllers
  • lessons
Related

Crazy PS2 to PC USB hub I want to make.

e14 Contributor
e14 Contributor over 13 years ago

I have a busted PS2 here, the ribbon cable in my classic style is all but busted.  However I have a crazy thought of what to do as opposed to trying to replace it.  I happen to own a Gamecube/XBOX/PS2 Universal USB hub.  I was wondering about doing something influenced by plastic model kit "kit-bashing" that I enjoy doing and making a custom USB hub that will not only allow use of memory cards on a PC (with appropriate discs only, no pirating of course) but to be mounted in a drive bay that I'm going to custom from the old case.   My question is this, do you think there is a way to make this work from the existing PCB of the hub or do I need to somehow ATMega it with a custom breadboard and the like?

 

Yes I know that its a moot point with all the wireless options and other hubs now a days but call me old fashioned.  I like wires.  Not to mention that otherwise I have a nice gaping hole in the front of my computer case. I figure that would be a nice add.  Besides, I want to also breathe some new life into my old PS2 games by having another option to playing them.

 

I will add now that while I'm taught to do all the fun hardware soldering and yay stuff like that my programming skills amount to carp.  If anyone wants to help me out with this project I'll appreciate it and show the fruits of my labors and try to video out how it plays. 

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
Parents
  • e14 Contributor
    e14 Contributor over 13 years ago

    Alright, I just started designing via bitmap the layouts for the boards I'll be making for this.  I designed this starting with the concept of this plugging straight into the motherboard via the USB connector on it.  As you can see I designed the core board to take one ATMEGA and a secondary board connecting vertically from this.  I'm planning on using photo resist/ferro-chloride printing onto copper boards (used this technique before in a jewelery class of all places). Next part I'm trying to figure out is if the memory card board is going to need its own ATMEGA or if I can run both functions off the same micro controller. Then I'll just need to map out how these will connect and which parts to use where for the best data transferrance and run the programming proper.  I can also resize parts as I go and have designed this with taking into account adding rails for sliding it in as a drive slot of 5.25 inches. I even personally designed the font I'm using on this board for added fun.  If you like the font I'll provide the link for usage for any board printers out there.  I also thought if the original PS2 has the right stuff in its assembly for the parts needed on my project I'll use those original parts if they haven't been affected by the burn out.  Please tell me what you think of my start here.

     

    I apologize for my delay between updates on this project but I do have a "day job" and am a very busy guy.  Also if you think you can help me in the mapping of the boards with your ideas feel free to give me a sample using this BMP and I'll try and refine it as part of the design.  I'll even credit you for the work in a readme when I release the final version of this file to the E14 boards here along with the video on the finished product.

     

    EDIT: I've been going over my design against an ATMEGA328 Pinout and I'm noticing that the attaching the boards at the sides may not be the best idea, would appreciate some assistance in figuring out where I'm going to place the ATMEGA in reference so I can ensure that both the memory card's set up works in conjunction with the controller pin out.  This still is my very first board design concept so I would appreciate some accurate construct ideals, Even if I have to somehow cross transfers for the controllers between the two boards to map it out I figure the "pin towers" in various areas will also give the ending construct some further stability that I didn't see carry out in the original hub I had.  So hopefully once this is fully mapped out with each resistor and transistor thought out I can print it out and everything.  I'm choosing out my solder mask and everything.  There should be no question of whether it will work or not once I'm done.  I hope that someone else will comment on this soon with some help on my concept designs. Like I said before I do fully intend on posting the final designs and video of this hub construct in action.  Even work on filming the final construction of the hub.  Please people, I would like your input, even if its map out links to similar hubs using an ATMEGA that have been posted on here in the past.  Those should help me with my measurements.

    Attachments:
    image
    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Reply
  • e14 Contributor
    e14 Contributor over 13 years ago

    Alright, I just started designing via bitmap the layouts for the boards I'll be making for this.  I designed this starting with the concept of this plugging straight into the motherboard via the USB connector on it.  As you can see I designed the core board to take one ATMEGA and a secondary board connecting vertically from this.  I'm planning on using photo resist/ferro-chloride printing onto copper boards (used this technique before in a jewelery class of all places). Next part I'm trying to figure out is if the memory card board is going to need its own ATMEGA or if I can run both functions off the same micro controller. Then I'll just need to map out how these will connect and which parts to use where for the best data transferrance and run the programming proper.  I can also resize parts as I go and have designed this with taking into account adding rails for sliding it in as a drive slot of 5.25 inches. I even personally designed the font I'm using on this board for added fun.  If you like the font I'll provide the link for usage for any board printers out there.  I also thought if the original PS2 has the right stuff in its assembly for the parts needed on my project I'll use those original parts if they haven't been affected by the burn out.  Please tell me what you think of my start here.

     

    I apologize for my delay between updates on this project but I do have a "day job" and am a very busy guy.  Also if you think you can help me in the mapping of the boards with your ideas feel free to give me a sample using this BMP and I'll try and refine it as part of the design.  I'll even credit you for the work in a readme when I release the final version of this file to the E14 boards here along with the video on the finished product.

     

    EDIT: I've been going over my design against an ATMEGA328 Pinout and I'm noticing that the attaching the boards at the sides may not be the best idea, would appreciate some assistance in figuring out where I'm going to place the ATMEGA in reference so I can ensure that both the memory card's set up works in conjunction with the controller pin out.  This still is my very first board design concept so I would appreciate some accurate construct ideals, Even if I have to somehow cross transfers for the controllers between the two boards to map it out I figure the "pin towers" in various areas will also give the ending construct some further stability that I didn't see carry out in the original hub I had.  So hopefully once this is fully mapped out with each resistor and transistor thought out I can print it out and everything.  I'm choosing out my solder mask and everything.  There should be no question of whether it will work or not once I'm done.  I hope that someone else will comment on this soon with some help on my concept designs. Like I said before I do fully intend on posting the final designs and video of this hub construct in action.  Even work on filming the final construction of the hub.  Please people, I would like your input, even if its map out links to similar hubs using an ATMEGA that have been posted on here in the past.  Those should help me with my measurements.

    Attachments:
    image
    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Children
No Data
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube