element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
element14's The Ben Heck Show
  • Challenges & Projects
  • element14 presents
  • element14's The Ben Heck Show
  • More
  • Cancel
element14's The Ben Heck Show
Forum build help: motion activated security camera that sends an alert (and possibly a photo of the intruder) to my phone via email or text message.
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join element14's The Ben Heck Show to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • Replies 3 replies
  • Subscribers 30 subscribers
  • Views 523 views
  • Users 0 members are here
Related

build help: motion activated security camera that sends an alert (and possibly a photo of the intruder) to my phone via email or text message.

e14 Contributor
e14 Contributor over 13 years ago

Hello all. I am trying to build something like this for my father and he will not allow me to even purchase any parts until I can provide him with detailed plans and potential cost.  I am not very tech oriented but can follow directions.  I have an apple wifi system that connects to satellite internet.  The location of the sensor/camera would be less than 50' with a thick interior wall as the only barrier.  I have looked around the internet for something like this and have found various pieces of what I want but I do not know if I could successfully meld them together.  The only thing that came close used a sim card and then I might as well get one of those home security monitoring systems.  Thanks for any help!

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
Parents
  • colecago
    colecago over 13 years ago

    My wireless cams can do this by default.  I set up motion detecting and zones and set up an email and they can email pictures when motion happens

    http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DCS-930L-mydlink-Enabled-Wireless-N-Network/dp/B00452V66G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371524370&sr=8-1&keywords=dcs-930L

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Reply
  • colecago
    colecago over 13 years ago

    My wireless cams can do this by default.  I set up motion detecting and zones and set up an email and they can email pictures when motion happens

    http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DCS-930L-mydlink-Enabled-Wireless-N-Network/dp/B00452V66G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371524370&sr=8-1&keywords=dcs-930L

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Children
  • e14 Contributor
    e14 Contributor over 13 years ago in reply to colecago

    Thanks for the help.  I have a couple of questions if that is ok.  Do I have to use the D-link website to get email notifications?  Will it take still pictures?  The operating system, it says it supports Mac OSX v. 10.4; does that mean 10.4 and up? because I have reciently upgraded my mac to 10.8 operating system.  I dont need the I phone app, but would like to know if it would send still images via email to any smart phone (mine is a blackberry), or is it just email notifications?  What is the camera's functionality without the d-link website connection?  Is it the website that sends the information to the user's phone?  Sorry if I seem rather stupid on these points, but I just need to understand.  Don't get me wrong, it looks like a great camera; but I dont need the ability of constant survailance.  I just need it active when someone is there (via motion detection) to take a picture, alert me via email or text (hopefully with a picture of the person [and no phone charges]), then shut off until it is activated again.  Thanks for bearing with me, and for your help!

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • colecago
    colecago over 13 years ago in reply to e14 Contributor

    No, they include software to view multiple cameras and record, and you can also view your cams through their website, but each camera has its own webserver so you just type in the ip address and port and set up the motion detection and email info. 

     

    I don't use the motion detection feature, I just use them as IP webcams which there are many viewer programs and apps out there when you want to look at them over the internet.  You'll need some networking knowledge to do that part though, with port forwarding, setting static ip's and such.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube