element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products
    Products
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
element14's The Ben Heck Show
  • Challenges & Projects
  • element14 presents
  • element14's The Ben Heck Show
  • More
  • Cancel
element14's The Ben Heck Show
Forum Several Questions - Raspberry Pi
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join element14's The Ben Heck Show to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • Replies 5 replies
  • Subscribers 31 subscribers
  • Views 506 views
  • Users 0 members are here
Related

Several Questions - Raspberry Pi

toxxn
toxxn over 13 years ago

To start off, I have been interested in the "art" of Arduino and Raspberry Pi for awhile now and I have always been intersted in electronics for as long as I can remember. The only thing that stops me from my hobby is money. I am disabled and unable to obtain means of income either from working or other means but I get by doing odd jobs here and there and anything I use in what projects I do manage to do, I recycle from old electronics that are no longer of use or broken. Anyways, tomarrow is my birthday (sept. 20) and I have convinced my girlfriend to get me a Raspberry Pi, which I have been looking forward to for a very long time now. I have many projects in mind, however I have a few questions concerning some of my ideas that I am not sure how to go about doing or simply just do not know enough about. So with all that said, lets get to it.

 

Question one - Is it possible to use cell phone LCD's as a LCD screen for the Raspberry Pi. The reason why I ask is I have several old phones laying around I could use. My old LG Env Touch has a nice sized screen I would like to use for one of my projects. The only problem is, it uses ribbon cables. Another reason I ask this is because TFT LCD screens are a little pricey, at least for really low budget hobbiest such as myself. I know they you can get TFT LCD's such as one for a car's rerverse camera pretty cheap on Ebay and $25 doesn't seem bad for what it is, but I just cannot afford one at this time.

 

Question two - In relation for question one, I have an old laptop laying around, would it be possible to use its LCD screen with the Raspberry Pi? Also, what about the using battery to power it? If so, how would I go about this, LCD's are not my specialty.

Actually it would be kind of cool to cut the motherboard of the old laptop and just use the Pi with the scame screen and keyboard/ touch pad. Would that be possible?

 

Question three - Can Arduinos be used with Raspberry Pi? I am pretty sure the answer to this one is in fact yes, but I would like to make sure. I currently do not have any projects in mind that would require use of an Arduino, but Arduinos are something I am deffinatly interested in, and I would like to use them along side the Raspberry Pi later on in other projects.

 

Question four - Is it possible to make a simple usb controller that would work with the Raspberry Pi? One simple like the old NES controllers?  I have a project in mind for a portable game system/ mobile computer  from an old Gameboy case. I would like to use usb to attach it to the Raspberry Pi. I don't want to put the Raspberry Pi within the same case simply because I have plans for other projects as well, and I want the Raspberry Pi within its own encloser. IF a usb connection isn't possible, what would be the best way to go about this project?

 

Question five - What would be the best OS to use with the Pi? As I have learned, there are numerious ones out there now, and with so many to choose from, I have no idea where to start.

 

 

I had more question, but as I was typing all the above, I forgot them. If I remember them I will post them, however any help on the above would be highly appreciated!

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
Parents
  • e14 Contributor
    e14 Contributor over 13 years ago

    I have quite an extensive junkl box of parts, send me your address in private email and I'll send ya some stuff to tinker with (FREE).  Are you looking for anything specific?

     

    Lloyd Smith - DigiTek Computer Service

    llsdigitek@gmail.com

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Reply
  • e14 Contributor
    e14 Contributor over 13 years ago

    I have quite an extensive junkl box of parts, send me your address in private email and I'll send ya some stuff to tinker with (FREE).  Are you looking for anything specific?

     

    Lloyd Smith - DigiTek Computer Service

    llsdigitek@gmail.com

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Children
  • toxxn
    toxxn over 13 years ago in reply to e14 Contributor

    That is realy kind of you and I highly appreciate it.

    I have a small box of my own started, buts it mainly just consists of old usb cords, a couple LEDS, some wire I grabbed from gutting my old desktop etc. I used to have a larger variety when I was in my teens but I have moved so much that I ended up losing the box. What I would really like to have in my box is a couple of breadboards, wire jumpers, resisters, heat shrink, LEDS, etc for basic projects like you would find in beginner project kits. Projects kits seem pretty expencive now days for what little you get in them.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube