element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products
    Products
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
element14's The Ben Heck Show
  • Challenges & Projects
  • element14 presents
  • element14's The Ben Heck Show
  • More
  • Cancel
element14's The Ben Heck Show
Forum Viewer Challenge - 3D Printer Briefcase upgrade
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join element14's The Ben Heck Show to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • Replies 2 replies
  • Subscribers 30 subscribers
  • Views 363 views
  • Users 0 members are here
  • build_challenge
  • viewer_challenge
  • ben_heck
  • show_idea
Related

Viewer Challenge - 3D Printer Briefcase upgrade

kingrahl
kingrahl over 12 years ago

Ben,

   I've been enjoying your builds for a while now and liked your Portable 3D Printer build. Especially your upgrade to the 3D Printing Briefcase. In those episodes, you illustrated the fact that you don't have to be confined to the designs already available. And it shows that we always want to improve upon our designs.

The next logical upgrade to this system would be battery powered so you can truly make it portable. However, I'd like to see an integrated computer/tablet into your Briefcase. Since you can't slice in the control panel, and the software already exists for this, it IS possible. But being compacted into it would be a challenge. (And Totally Freaking Awesome!)

A tablet will give you a touchscreen, a 9 inch laptop will give you a keyboard and touchpad, or possibly a monitor on a Raspberry Pi would just be awesome. I'm not interested in the wireless Bluetooth option to work it by phone, because we all know how easy it is to loose your phone and all the data saved on it. And I wouldn't leave my phone while it printed either.

 

If that's too challenging, then the battery idea... Or both.

 

Thanks for reading.

 

 

Edit 2-9-14: I rescind my challenge. It seems 3D printers has been overdone on TBHS. And after partnering with Printrbot, it seems a final "briefcase printer" has been made and the battery part looks like it was already addressed.

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
Parents
  • vehasmaa
    vehasmaa over 12 years ago

    How i would go this is skip entire laptop entirely. Thanks to these small computer boards (RaspBerry Pi, etc...) it should not be too difficult to add control computer right there. Small touchscreen, portable wireless keyboard and mouse... No problems at all..

     

    I would not go with battery power when it comes to 3d printer. Those extruders with heating, they eat a lot of power. And if average print takes 30 minutes to hour to finnish thats a lot of power.

     

    For something thats makes small parts only, yes it might be doable easy. but that requires its own custom made printer anyways...

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • kingrahl
    kingrahl over 12 years ago in reply to vehasmaa

    I've seen battery powered RepRaps. Yes, a heat bed would eat most of the power. A heat bed isn't required, just recommended.

     

    I like the laptop idea because I like 3D Modeling. Especially on the fly when I have an idea and just have to get it down before I forget. Or you're not in your shop and need that part that's unavailable, so you redesign it to fit exactly what you need.

     

    I'm interested in which interface would be a "good" or "the best" choice. It doesn't have to be the laptop. Those are already portable.

     

    I'm already redesigning the case for functionality. This changes available space. I'm going for all around "All in 1 3D Printer".

    You know how a designer gets. Have an idea and get tunnel vision trying to achieve your goal, not knowing of a different/better/cheaper option.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Reply
  • kingrahl
    kingrahl over 12 years ago in reply to vehasmaa

    I've seen battery powered RepRaps. Yes, a heat bed would eat most of the power. A heat bed isn't required, just recommended.

     

    I like the laptop idea because I like 3D Modeling. Especially on the fly when I have an idea and just have to get it down before I forget. Or you're not in your shop and need that part that's unavailable, so you redesign it to fit exactly what you need.

     

    I'm interested in which interface would be a "good" or "the best" choice. It doesn't have to be the laptop. Those are already portable.

     

    I'm already redesigning the case for functionality. This changes available space. I'm going for all around "All in 1 3D Printer".

    You know how a designer gets. Have an idea and get tunnel vision trying to achieve your goal, not knowing of a different/better/cheaper option.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Children
No Data
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube