element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
element14's The Ben Heck Show
  • Challenges & Projects
  • element14 presents
  • element14's The Ben Heck Show
  • More
  • Cancel
element14's The Ben Heck Show
Forum Merging multiple devices
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join element14's The Ben Heck Show to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • State Not Answered
  • Replies 1 reply
  • Subscribers 29 subscribers
  • Views 293 views
  • Users 0 members are here
Related

Merging multiple devices

e14 Contributor
e14 Contributor over 16 years ago

So in California, you're only allowed to have one device mounted on the dashboard.  For a frequent traveler who does road trips on a regular basis, I've always had an issue with keeping three devices on my dashboard without it becoming an electrical nightmare or a security issue with all the tech flair.

 

I want to be able to merge my radar/LIDAR detector, my Garmin, and my Sirius satellite radio together into one device I can quickly remove from the dash, use one electrical cable so I don't have to plug in three cords every time I get into my car and then unplug everything and stow it when I get out of the car...

 

If there's enough power left I also want to be able to charge my Nokia (basically a simple USB charger for mobile devices would do)...

 

I know this sort of project would draw an intense amount of power that normal vehicles, especially for older vehicles like my 17 year old Corolla, but I've been able to get by with a cheap 3-way cigarette lighter splitter (but even then it doesn't solve my phone constant battery drainage problem)...

 

a) before we even think about merging any of this, can this be done in a power-only sense?  (if it won't power up or if every single time I plug it in it ends up blowing a fuse... then it's not worth the trouble)

b) would a consolidated power cord be feasible or would I still need to dock three separate power cords for everything?

c) how huge would the merged device be? (if it gets too fat, I might end up blocking the rear-facing radar/LIDAR sensor since I would be mounting this to the lower left corner of the front windshield... state law dictates I can only use that corner's 5" x 5" square)

 

Thanks!

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
Parents
  • Catwell
    0 Catwell over 14 years ago

    Would it be simpler to mount the devices, or similar ones, inside the dashboard?

     

    I know Sirius and Garmin have in dash docks for their devices.

     

    Then take the radar and integrate in in the ceiling.

     

    My suggestion, actively hide the devices.

     

    All devices would tie directly into the car's 12V.

     

    Cabe

    http://twitter.com/Cabe_e14
    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Verify Answer
    • Cancel
Reply
  • Catwell
    0 Catwell over 14 years ago

    Would it be simpler to mount the devices, or similar ones, inside the dashboard?

     

    I know Sirius and Garmin have in dash docks for their devices.

     

    Then take the radar and integrate in in the ceiling.

     

    My suggestion, actively hide the devices.

     

    All devices would tie directly into the car's 12V.

     

    Cabe

    http://twitter.com/Cabe_e14
    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Verify Answer
    • Cancel
Children
No Data
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube