element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
element14's The Ben Heck Show
  • Challenges & Projects
  • element14 presents
  • element14's The Ben Heck Show
  • More
  • Cancel
element14's The Ben Heck Show
Forum Treadmill Controller Challenge (NEW CONCEPT NOT AN ATTACHED CONTROLLER!!)
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join element14's The Ben Heck Show to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • State Not Answered
  • Replies 3 replies
  • Subscribers 29 subscribers
  • Views 580 views
  • Users 0 members are here
Related

Treadmill Controller Challenge (NEW CONCEPT NOT AN ATTACHED CONTROLLER!!)

e14 Contributor
e14 Contributor over 16 years ago

Ben,


I was injured playing college football (severely herniated L4-S1) and I am limited to running only on a treadmill, which is extremely boring... However, I have always had this dream that if one could run on a treadmill and game at the same time it might revolutionize the country!!! Ok maybe that is a little over the top but seriously that would help people get in shape!! Motion gaming such as the Wii, Move, and Kinect are cool but I want to play the classics... Halo, COD, and etc.

 

If you could design a controller that was split in two but still kept full functionality in each hand so one could literally sprint while playing games you could start whole gyms based around this concept. It would also be interesting to test how well people can game while under duress or are winded... For example, what is your kill to death ratio while running at 6.0 on the treadmill?? Is there a median average?? Could this revolutionize Madden??


That is my idea and I swear if I had Ben's know how I would be on it!! NO I DO NOT WANT A REGULAR CONTROLLER ATTACHED TO A TREADMILL!!


Joe

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
Parents
  • e14 Contributor
    0 e14 Contributor over 15 years ago

    I currently game from my treadmill.  Admittedly, I'm not playing FPSs on it (I don't think I could keep my aim steady when I'm jogging) but I do play the LOTRO MMO on it.  I use the Ideazon Fang controller (a keypad primarily designed for FPSs) and a mouse.  My treadmill is just a few feet from my PC (also handy for watching DVDs on the treadmill), so it's no problem running the controller's wire to the treadmill.  The controller, mouse pad and mouse all sit on the treadmill's console.  This means that you can't see the readouts - but I usually just set it at a certain speed when I'm gaming, so it's not a big deal.  It's difficult to run and do involved stuff (I'd never raid like this) but you can do simple questing and grind-type stuff.

     

    I believe the Ideazon Fang is currently discontinued but, if you Google it, you'll see what it looks like.  There are a number of similar controllers on the market that might work instead.

     

    I've been using the above set-up for about 3 years now.  Since then, I've also found out that:

    - One of the guys from Penny Arcade built a wooden frame over the top of his treadmill that holds a keyboard and allows him to game while he runs.

    - A couple of guys wired treadmills to WoW in a way that translated their running on the treadmill into running in the game and then ran across the game world.  It's on YouTube somewhere.

     

    Best of luck!

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Verify Answer
    • Cancel
Reply
  • e14 Contributor
    0 e14 Contributor over 15 years ago

    I currently game from my treadmill.  Admittedly, I'm not playing FPSs on it (I don't think I could keep my aim steady when I'm jogging) but I do play the LOTRO MMO on it.  I use the Ideazon Fang controller (a keypad primarily designed for FPSs) and a mouse.  My treadmill is just a few feet from my PC (also handy for watching DVDs on the treadmill), so it's no problem running the controller's wire to the treadmill.  The controller, mouse pad and mouse all sit on the treadmill's console.  This means that you can't see the readouts - but I usually just set it at a certain speed when I'm gaming, so it's not a big deal.  It's difficult to run and do involved stuff (I'd never raid like this) but you can do simple questing and grind-type stuff.

     

    I believe the Ideazon Fang is currently discontinued but, if you Google it, you'll see what it looks like.  There are a number of similar controllers on the market that might work instead.

     

    I've been using the above set-up for about 3 years now.  Since then, I've also found out that:

    - One of the guys from Penny Arcade built a wooden frame over the top of his treadmill that holds a keyboard and allows him to game while he runs.

    - A couple of guys wired treadmills to WoW in a way that translated their running on the treadmill into running in the game and then ran across the game world.  It's on YouTube somewhere.

     

    Best of luck!

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Verify Answer
    • Cancel
Children
No Data
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube