element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
element14's The Ben Heck Show
  • Challenges & Projects
  • element14 presents
  • element14's The Ben Heck Show
  • More
  • Cancel
element14's The Ben Heck Show
Forum I want to add an USB port on my APC UPB50 battery so i can charge my phone and laptop.
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join element14's The Ben Heck Show to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • State Not Answered
  • Replies 7 replies
  • Subscribers 30 subscribers
  • Views 963 views
  • Users 0 members are here
Related

I want to add an USB port on my APC UPB50 battery so i can charge my phone and laptop.

rayjai
rayjai over 15 years ago

I want to add an USB port on my APC UPB50 battery so I can charge my phone and laptop. Since the battery is seal, I can't open it up. I plan to make an adapter from the power out plug.

 

When I check the power from the outside and inside walls of the plug i get 19v.
From the outside wall and the pin inside, i get 5v, can i use the 5v to charge my phone.

 

Can I just hook up a wall charger to the power out plug and charge my phone?

 

I'm new to this kind of tinkering and it's a step up from what I normally make. I need guidance.


Thanks!

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
  • e14 Contributor
    0 e14 Contributor over 15 years ago

    Most likely not! Not safely anyway.

    Most mobile phones use li-po/li-ion batteries which run at 3.7v. They're easy to over-charge and a lithium battery can be dangerous if it's not charged correctly! I designed a PIC+screen type gadget about 12 months ago which recharged a li-po battery over USB. It used a battery charge controller (surface mount chip) from Microchip so I'll dig out the designs and post them here when I get a min (the Farnell website is down for maintenance so I can't get the part number just yet).

     

    I know this post isn't particularly helpful without schematics or part numbers, but as soon as I get them I'll post them here. What you're trying to do is quite easy - but there are some people who will say "put in some blocking diodes, everything will be ok". For the sake of a few pounds/dollars, you're better off using a dedicated charge controlling chip! (check out the charging graphs for li-po batteries, they're non-linear and need some intelligence to charge safely).

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Verify Answer
    • Cancel
  • rayjai
    0 rayjai over 15 years ago in reply to e14 Contributor

    Thanks for the warning.

     

    but if i hook up the 19v plug to a HTC wall charger wouldn't the wall charger control it for me? This way I woldn't have to build anything.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Verify Answer
    • Cancel
  • e14 Contributor
    0 e14 Contributor over 15 years ago in reply to e14 Contributor

    You could use one of these:

    http://uk.farnell.com/microchip/mcp73827-4-2vua/batt-charger-li-ion-4-2v-8-msop/dp/1852161

    if you're only going to charge li-ion batteries. They take up to 4.2V

    If you're likely to want to charge li-poly batteries too, there are dedicated chips for them too which charge up to 4.1V (li-po are cheaper/easier to manufacture but mobile devices tend to stick to li-ions)

     

    They can be fiddly to hand-solder, but it's possible. Use plenty of flux, pre-tin your traces and use a tiny amount of solder on a very small tip. I used press-n-peel to create a breakout board, and make a converter to get the SOIC23 sized device onto a 0.1" pitch board (for breadboard/protoytyping)

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Verify Answer
    • Cancel
  • rayjai
    0 rayjai over 15 years ago in reply to e14 Contributor

    Thanks again.

     

    Are you telling to build something to lower the voltage?

     

    if so could you explain why my way wouldn't work?

    I'm using this as the power source:

    http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=upb50&tab=documentation

    and going to hook the 19v out to a HTC wall charger like this:

    http://www.htcdepot.com/htc-micro-usb-travel-charger/5A17A7825.htm

     

    wouldn't the 19v be converted to 5v through the Wall charger? in theory.

     

    I'm sorry if i'm still not getting it, never took a engineering class and I'm just doing this as a hobby.

     

    thanks

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Verify Answer
    • Cancel
  • e14 Contributor
    0 e14 Contributor over 15 years ago in reply to rayjai

    I'm not familiar with the wall-charger you mentioned. Usually wall chargers go into the mains (AC) and use a transformer and diodes to generate a lower, DC voltage. The cheaper ones use "clipping" to do away with the transformer to create DC. The charger may have built-in over-voltage protection, or it may just pump out voltage and expect the control circuit to be in the device.

    I wouldn't expect you to be able to plug a wall charger (AC) into a battery (DC) output.

    What you could do is take the DC output from the battery - the 5v - and use it to charge the phone.

     

    Addressing the question - can I use the 5V to charge my phone?

    It's possible. If you can be sure that the phone has built-in charge control circuitry, then you could just put 5v into it and charge it up. But then again, the batteries might get a bit warm and start to expand - this is a sure sign of over-charging. Once your batteries start to swell, get rid: they could at best start leaking and at worst go bang! Unfortunately, the li-ion batteries tend to have rigid outer-casings so swelling/over charging is less obvious until they burst spectacularly!

     

    One thing you could try is to put a multi-meter onto the 5v and ground pins of the output of the phone's own wall charger. If the charger has a usb-type plug, these are usually the outermost of the five pins (pin 1=+5v, pin 4+5=ground). If the charger is giving out 5V it's likely that this is going into a charge-control circuit inside the phone. If it's a lower value, say 4.1V-4.4V it's likely that the wall charger contains the charge control circuitry and you'll need to recreate this between the output of your battery and the input socket on your phone.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Verify Answer
    • Cancel
  • e14 Contributor
    0 e14 Contributor over 15 years ago in reply to rayjai

    Got your last reply after I posted mine! In short, the wall charger at http://www.htcdepot.com/htc-micro-usb-travel-charger/5A17A7825.htm takes AC power and converts it to DC. It's not suitable to connect to the battery output (because of the small size, it looks like it doesn't have an internal transformer either and "clips" the AC waveform to lower the voltage)

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Verify Answer
    • Cancel
  • rayjai
    0 rayjai over 15 years ago in reply to e14 Contributor

    ok, so when I remove the laptop adapter, I see 5 pins.

     

    1,2,3,4,5

     

    checking pins 1 - 4 with pin 5 gives me a reading.

     

    Pin 1,5 - 3.9

    pin 2,5 - 3.9

    pin 3,5 - 1.9

    pin 4,5 - 2.5

     

    Can I use these pins to my advantage? thanks

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Verify Answer
    • Cancel
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube