element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
element14's The Ben Heck Show
  • Challenges & Projects
  • element14 presents
  • element14's The Ben Heck Show
  • More
  • Cancel
element14's The Ben Heck Show
Forum Show Idea -- Home Automation made easy ??? --
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join element14's The Ben Heck Show to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • State Not Answered
  • Replies 6 replies
  • Subscribers 30 subscribers
  • Views 539 views
  • Users 0 members are here
Related

Show Idea -- Home Automation made easy ??? --

e14 Contributor
e14 Contributor over 13 years ago

Good afternoon Ben, and other electronics fanatics,

 

My name is Dom, I am a Home Automation NUT, and have been for the last 30 years.

 

I have seen products come and go, for whatever reason, either too expensive, too complicated, or just to unstable.

 

The following is what I perceive as Home Automation.

 

Most systems for consumers, are either an adapted alarm system, systems based on timers and If and then action / reactions, which I think is not the direction to go.

 

Home Automation should contain 3 elements, Hardware, Software, and Interactiveware, and MODULAR.

 

The Hardware : Could be anything like the Arduino, or similar boards, they need to have Analog Inputs, ( Optional ) Analog Output, Digital Input, Digital Outputs, RTC and enough memory to store the program, the run of the mill type of board, as part of the hardware, SENSORS are a must, light, heat, rain, motion, gas, etc., sensors need to be compatible with system with ease of installation, not something that requires a degree to install.

 

The Software : I am neither good at electronics or programming, therefore simplicity is of the essence, there are some good Home Automation Software packages out there BUT they are either to expensive, too complicated otr both, at least for me they, and I have a feeling that lots of users feel the same way, I understand that the more interactive and GUI orientated software made for users is so much more complcated for the programmer, in y simple mind, how complicated can it be to have a event programming screen that has a couple of selections Icon, 1 for time event, 1 for reaction to action events, and 1 for a combination ob both.

 

The Interactiveware : A touch screen with inside outside temperature, a couple of automated devices with can be ajusted on the fly,  without have to go through the whole to make a small change.

 

Modular : A setup which allows one the opportunity to add software elements, hardware components, as needed.

 

About 18 years ago I had a system which allowed me to do pretty what I wanted hardware wise, but I just couldn't do want I wanted with the software plus there was no interactivwe GUI, the board was a HCSII by Circuit Cellar, nice unit, but not complet,

 

So maybe one day, I can sit with Ben and go through my idea and try and come up with something that could meet the above criteria, and also be financialy rewarding for who ever would decide to build such a package.

 

Regards

 

Dom

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
Parents
  • e14 Contributor
    0 e14 Contributor over 13 years ago

    Dom,

      I have since been speaking with a system integrator at work , and he has peaked my curiousity with the android + Arduino ADK . I had read up on it before , but if I am going to invest time learning programming I think this is the route to take . I feel very comfortable with the hardware side of things so pushing into the realm of programming is exciting.

    I did not install the audio system this past weekend as We talked of adding a few items . I should be ready to go for next Saturday though ; it is nice to see the systems come together and compliment a home .

      Build_it_Bob

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Verify Answer
    • Cancel
Reply
  • e14 Contributor
    0 e14 Contributor over 13 years ago

    Dom,

      I have since been speaking with a system integrator at work , and he has peaked my curiousity with the android + Arduino ADK . I had read up on it before , but if I am going to invest time learning programming I think this is the route to take . I feel very comfortable with the hardware side of things so pushing into the realm of programming is exciting.

    I did not install the audio system this past weekend as We talked of adding a few items . I should be ready to go for next Saturday though ; it is nice to see the systems come together and compliment a home .

      Build_it_Bob

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Verify Answer
    • Cancel
Children
  • e14 Contributor
    0 e14 Contributor over 13 years ago in reply to e14 Contributor

    Good morning Bob,

     

    I waas checking the ARDUINO ADK, holly mackerel, that's the way to go.

     

    There is lots of room for expension,

     

    I am involved with another project right now, but will definitely go for the ADK.

     

    Please stay in touch, I want to see how you are coming along.

     

    Dom

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Verify Answer
    • Cancel
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube