element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
element14's The Ben Heck Show
  • Challenges & Projects
  • element14 presents
  • element14's The Ben Heck Show
  • More
  • Cancel
element14's The Ben Heck Show
Forum Ground Proximity Warning System for my Experimental Velocity Aircraft
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join element14's The Ben Heck Show to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • State Suggested Answer
  • Replies 11 replies
  • Answers 1 answer
  • Subscribers 32 subscribers
  • Views 2584 views
  • Users 0 members are here
Related

Ground Proximity Warning System for my Experimental Velocity Aircraft

davetnelson
davetnelson over 13 years ago

I'm working to put together a quasi GPWS (Ground Proximity Warning System) for my experimental airplane... a four seat Velocity.  The purpose is essentially to provide a timely warning (like someone screaming into my headset) that I'm about to land the airplne without first extending the landing gear.

 

My idea so far is this - there is an RS232 output from my aviation GPS receiver that contains latitude/longitude, ground speed, destination & distance from destination, and the GPS calculated elevation (referenced to Mean Sea Level (MSL).  I've got a Raspberry Pi on order... my plan is to use the Raspberry Pi to interpret the GPS serial stream and to run the following test.... If I am within, say, 3 miles of my destination AND I'm below, say, 300 feet, AND I'm below my maximum gear extension speed (120 knots) AND my landing gear isn't extended - WARNING!  WARNING!

 

I'd be interested in the thoughts of this community.  The biggest challenges I see (outside of learning linux and whatever programming language makes sense), are things like:

- How to determine my altitude Above Ground Level (AGL) from the MSL output of the GPS (I'll need a terrain elevation database, or perhaps a database of airports in the US including their altitude in MSL),

- How much should I worry about GPS altitude error?

- Do I need to plan for any Raspberry Pi driven display in the aircraft?

- This won't be my only gear up warning system... but... if it becomes my primary system, what should I be worried about?

 

Thoughts anyone?  My Raspberry Pi should arrive this week... I'm ready to go.

Attachments:
image
  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel

Top Replies

  • shabaz
    shabaz over 13 years ago +1 suggested
    Hi Dave, It sounds an interesting project. I'm no expert in this area, but I can help with letting you know of some general considerations, in case you can incorporate into your design. 1. Simplicity …
  • davetnelson
    davetnelson over 13 years ago in reply to shabaz +1
    Thanks, Shabaz. Let me take your points one at a time (and they're all good). First - simplicity... you are right on the money - I'm a big believer in KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid!). In this case, though…
  • benheck
    benheck over 13 years ago +1
    Good points below. I'd like to add that any components you can find with a CAN bus (like what's used in cars) will be more stable and less prone to interference. Plus I'd agree the things you'd like to…
  • phoenixcomm
    0 phoenixcomm over 13 years ago in reply to davetnelson

    old blog http://www.phoenixcomm.net/~phnx2000/sim

    new blog http://phoenixcomm.wordpress.com

    e14 blog http://www.element14.com/community/people/phoenixcomm/blog

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Verify Answer
    • Cancel
<
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube