I am ordering a Raspberry Pi, and I was wondering which language is best for programming games, because I want to program and cannot decide which programming language to use. I am thinking either Python or C++ but I cannot choose. Ideas?
I am ordering a Raspberry Pi, and I was wondering which language is best for programming games, because I want to program and cannot decide which programming language to use. I am thinking either Python or C++ but I cannot choose. Ideas?
Python is a great choice for starting out.
Depending on what your goals are, you might want to check out Scratch.
Hi.
I bought Pi to return to machine-level programming: I'm not an E.E., so I don't care anytthing about the hardware.
I started out writing compliers and operating systems in the 60's: note: not USING compilers and operating systems, but writing them from scratch.
What language is supported by Pi that I could use to get back to basic machine-level programming? I don't really care if it's compiled or interpretive: simply what is an appropriate, supported language for Pi as of 3/1/2013? and where do I get it and information / documentation about how to learn and use it?
Thanks:
Bob McConnell
P.S. Remember Stretch?
Hi Bob,
Yes, remember Stretch and Harvest and compilers written in assembly language.
Are you wanting a recommendation for an assembly language, or for a high-level
language? There are lots of languages available. C is pretty low level if that's what
you're looking for. Python is a more modern interpreted language. Javascript is
interesting to learn for creating interactive web pages.
There is a list here:
http://elinux.org/RPi_Programming
Since you aren't interested in the hardware, you should also consider that a PC
would have the same languages available, but with better performing development
environments.
Hi Bob,
Yes, remember Stretch and Harvest and compilers written in assembly language.
Are you wanting a recommendation for an assembly language, or for a high-level
language? There are lots of languages available. C is pretty low level if that's what
you're looking for. Python is a more modern interpreted language. Javascript is
interesting to learn for creating interactive web pages.
There is a list here:
http://elinux.org/RPi_Programming
Since you aren't interested in the hardware, you should also consider that a PC
would have the same languages available, but with better performing development
environments.