element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
element14's The Ben Heck Show
  • Challenges & Projects
  • element14 presents
  • element14's The Ben Heck Show
  • More
  • Cancel
element14's The Ben Heck Show
Forum Wide 3D Printers?
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join element14's The Ben Heck Show to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • State Not Answered
  • Replies 14 replies
  • Subscribers 34 subscribers
  • Views 1540 views
  • Users 0 members are here
  • 3d_printing
Related

Wide 3D Printers?

scotto
scotto over 13 years ago

Has anyone debated to build a wide format 3D printer? Somewhere in the realm of 24+ inches?

What would be the design/build challenges one would face?

Or is it more practicle to cut/route items this size?

Any advice/opinions is greatly appreciated!

 

Thanks!

Scotto

Frustrated Shade Tree Engineer/Mechanic

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
Parents
  • scotto
    0 scotto over 13 years ago

    Somehow one of my replies didnt post. So, I'll lump these together, sorry!

     

    I plan on printing in ABS, since most of my projects would be suspectable to the weather elements (rain), unexpected fluid leaks (anti-freeze, oil, or fuel), and under hood temps could possibly re-shape PLA (if my memory serves correctly PLA has a lower melting point than ABS, right?)

     

    So what kind of issues should I plan/expect when using ABS?

     

    With large item printing, what kind of print speed would I need to consider to print without adhesion problems? Would it help if I designed my projects with some type of support inner stucture such as honeycomb or beams to help minimize material usage and increase print speed?

     

    I'm currently considering the PrintrBot Plus so I could have a large print area, and upgrade to a "taller" printer down the road.

     

    I drooled over the demo video of the Object1000, then passed out when the price was mentioned. I was ready to write the check when they pulled the F1 car off the bed...

    Did I mention that I'm not made of money? 8(

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Verify Answer
    • Cancel
Reply
  • scotto
    0 scotto over 13 years ago

    Somehow one of my replies didnt post. So, I'll lump these together, sorry!

     

    I plan on printing in ABS, since most of my projects would be suspectable to the weather elements (rain), unexpected fluid leaks (anti-freeze, oil, or fuel), and under hood temps could possibly re-shape PLA (if my memory serves correctly PLA has a lower melting point than ABS, right?)

     

    So what kind of issues should I plan/expect when using ABS?

     

    With large item printing, what kind of print speed would I need to consider to print without adhesion problems? Would it help if I designed my projects with some type of support inner stucture such as honeycomb or beams to help minimize material usage and increase print speed?

     

    I'm currently considering the PrintrBot Plus so I could have a large print area, and upgrade to a "taller" printer down the road.

     

    I drooled over the demo video of the Object1000, then passed out when the price was mentioned. I was ready to write the check when they pulled the F1 car off the bed...

    Did I mention that I'm not made of money? 8(

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Verify Answer
    • Cancel
Children
No Data
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube