element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
Community Hub
Community Hub
Member's Forum Danger, Danger, High Voltage - Laser Cutter Woes
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Quiz
  • Events
  • Leaderboard
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join Community Hub to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • Replies 5 replies
  • Subscribers 631 subscribers
  • Views 641 views
  • Users 0 members are here
  • high voltage
  • laser cutting
Related

Danger, Danger, High Voltage - Laser Cutter Woes

cstanton
cstanton over 7 years ago

There are a number of hackspaces which try to go the cheap route when it comes to laser cutting and engraving, these machines are expensive, and unless you know what you're doing, they can be extremely dangerous.

 

One such repeated incident is with a 60watt laser cutter that my local hackspace has acquired, upgraded and attempted to fix over the years. With difficulties attaching cabling to the laser tube itself, through to the high voltage insulation or lack of it from the power supply unit to the rest of it itself.

 

However when you try to find guidance or assistance on ensuring insulation for high voltage, somewhat quite rightly, it's difficult to find. We're in the realms of trained professionals here, but still partial or low to no information is worse than the right information.

 

Recently, it's been arcing to the case, and that's not good. We guess that the power is 10-45kv and it has literally corroded it

 

image

 

What is a hackspace to do?

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
Parents
  • shabaz
    shabaz over 7 years ago

    Hi Christopher,

     

    I wonder if that began occurring if someone powered up the supply without the laser attached (although there should be protection against that). The supply may not be regulated, and just relying on the laser tube to act as a load, i.e. without it, the voltage may rise high enough to self-damage itself or the cables.

    Also I guess it came with those cable ties in place, but that would make it worse, since it's better to have only slight bends and nothing crushed. I don't know the solution to repair that : ( Maybe the best thing is to mitigate any more discharge, with additional insulation until the tube/supply is replaced.

     

    I have an ancient HeNe (very low power - 10mW) laser tube that I got it second-hand about 10 years ago, and it's been unpowered for that long too! But I tried it a few weeks ago, worried that the years may have damaged the insulation, but surprisingly it still worked (also I can't believe the tube still functions, it's actual year of manufacture is stamped as 1980!). I'd like to place additional flexible conduit around the high voltage cable, but like in your photo, it is terminated with the large high voltage connector, so I don't want to modify that.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Reply
  • shabaz
    shabaz over 7 years ago

    Hi Christopher,

     

    I wonder if that began occurring if someone powered up the supply without the laser attached (although there should be protection against that). The supply may not be regulated, and just relying on the laser tube to act as a load, i.e. without it, the voltage may rise high enough to self-damage itself or the cables.

    Also I guess it came with those cable ties in place, but that would make it worse, since it's better to have only slight bends and nothing crushed. I don't know the solution to repair that : ( Maybe the best thing is to mitigate any more discharge, with additional insulation until the tube/supply is replaced.

     

    I have an ancient HeNe (very low power - 10mW) laser tube that I got it second-hand about 10 years ago, and it's been unpowered for that long too! But I tried it a few weeks ago, worried that the years may have damaged the insulation, but surprisingly it still worked (also I can't believe the tube still functions, it's actual year of manufacture is stamped as 1980!). I'd like to place additional flexible conduit around the high voltage cable, but like in your photo, it is terminated with the large high voltage connector, so I don't want to modify that.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Children
  • cstanton
    cstanton over 7 years ago in reply to shabaz

    > The supply may not be regulated

     

    I suspect that it is, though this is something I will check with those who've worked on it.

     

    > Also I guess it came with those cable ties in place

     

    Oh no, definitely not, that was someone's attempt at maintenance.

     

    > I don't know the solution to repair that

     

    Replace the wiring, probably! and it's insulation along with it. A suggestion has also been to ensure that the cabling is stood off sufficiently from the enclosure.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +3 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube