element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
Community Hub
Community Hub
Member's Forum Have you noticed the new layout?
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Quiz
  • Events
  • Leaderboard
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join Community Hub to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • Replies 8 replies
  • Subscribers 630 subscribers
  • Views 700 views
  • Users 0 members are here
  • community design
Related

Have you noticed the new layout?

cstanton
cstanton over 6 years ago

The main homepage of the element14 Community has been redesigned/laid out for both mobile and desktop.

 

image

We have a new navigation area on the right hand side, and created more tiles to make the presentation a bit more visual. This shift in design is mainly in line with how most web design has moved on from a mainly text based presentation to graphical, due to being viewable on so many different devices and the need for a responsive design.

 

image

 

Our mobile layout is still being worked on, with the sheer amount of information available on the element14 Community we have to sacrifice some visuals to try to also present what's the most important, and what's actually maintainable with the platform we have, and we're still experimenting with it.

 

What do you think? Feedback, comments and questions in reply to this post please!

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
  • wolfgangfriedrich
    wolfgangfriedrich over 6 years ago

    I like the new layout,but I notice that I don't look at status updates anymore. The additional click and wait for the page to load is somehow not compatible with my information intake flow.

    Even though I found some interesting bits in the statuses, e.g. To test the soldering temperature with a thermocouple soldered to the iron tip.

    - W.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • cstanton
    cstanton over 6 years ago in reply to fmilburn

    Thanks, this will be handled by the team when they're awake

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • fmilburn
    fmilburn over 6 years ago

    BTW, I prefer the new layout.  The tabs are a cleaner way to Separate content in my opinion.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • ralphjy
    ralphjy over 6 years ago

    I hate to admit that I rarely ever land on the homepage so I can't remember what the old one looked like, but I do like the look and feel of the new one.

     

    I can confirm what others reported that there are issues with the Newest Discussions and Latest Status Updates tabs.  In Chrome on my Win10 desktop I don't get the users' avatars as Jan reported, but it does work with Safari on my iPad.  The 'More' button doesn't work with either Chrome or Safari for those tabs as Shabaz reported.

     

    I guess I should probably update my thumbnail in Chrome to land on the home page image.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • fmilburn
    fmilburn over 6 years ago in reply to shabaz

    I see the same problem on a Windows machine and Edge but not on an iPad.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • DAB
    DAB over 6 years ago

    So far it looks good.

    I still prefer rounded boxes to square corners, but I understand that is just a personal preference.

     

    DAB

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • ntewinkel
    ntewinkel over 6 years ago

    Looks great!

     

    Good to hear about the mobile improvements. That'll give me more chance to keep up on the e14 happenings here image

     

    -Nico

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • shabaz
    shabaz over 6 years ago

    Hi Christopher,

     

    It looks nice! I still need to explore it more, but at first impression it does look great.

    On Chrome at the bottom, if I click on Newest Discussions tab and scroll to the bottom, clicking on 'MORE' doesn't do anything,

    and the people icons are not there, is that still work-in-progress, or a bug?

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +3 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube