The Z80 is still manufactured today and I was wondering whether there is any interest for a community or discussion group.
The Z80 is still manufactured today and I was wondering whether there is any interest for a community or discussion group.
If anyone is playing with Z80s and CP/m be aware that Microsoft BASIC Compiler is only marginally faster than its interpreter sister.
The BASCOM and interpreter are 8080 based programs that are not optimised for the Z80.
From what I have experienced, the compiling a BASIC program results in a huge binary file that consists of the user's original BASIC program with keywords/tokens replaced with generic machine code mechanisms that call up rather large runtime library.
A simple (but fantastic) game like LADDER ends up being 40K in size when its Z80 counterpart is magnitudes smaller and efficient.
If anyone is playing with Z80s and CP/m be aware that Microsoft BASIC Compiler is only marginally faster than its interpreter sister.
The BASCOM and interpreter are 8080 based programs that are not optimised for the Z80.
From what I have experienced, the compiling a BASIC program results in a huge binary file that consists of the user's original BASIC program with keywords/tokens replaced with generic machine code mechanisms that call up rather large runtime library.
A simple (but fantastic) game like LADDER ends up being 40K in size when its Z80 counterpart is magnitudes smaller and efficient.