The Z80 is still manufactured today and I was wondering whether there is any interest for a community or discussion group.
The Z80 is still manufactured today and I was wondering whether there is any interest for a community or discussion group.
Hi Monte.
I used Z80's back in the 1980's and used to have a bunch of them around, but with all the other processors now available, they are not something I would try to use today. Too many support chips needed.
Given the Cypress PSOC, I would start there instead.
DAB
HI DAB
As you know I've used both.
The issue with using modern parts is that one needs a PC and also allows one to gloss over the fundamentals with everything provided on a platter.
Building a Z80 system forces one to at least assemble some hardware, learn machine code if desired, have many more hazards to navigate and develop a full sense of what is going on.
Here's a comparison of the different levels of programming learned.
PSOC C
main() {
unsigned char a=0;
for(;;) {
write_LED(a);
a = ~a;
}
}
Z80 ASSEMBLY
LED_PORT EQU %01
START:
XOR A
$1:
OUT (LED_PORT), A
CPL
JR $1
Z80 HEX
AF D3 01 2F 18 FB
Have a great day!
Milton Feng and Walid Hafez have an experimental BJT working at 605GHz. IBM and AMD claimed to have switching transistors as fast as 2.0-3.3TeraHertz.
At that speed I wonder how they'll dissipate the heat and everything would have to be soo close together to work.