The Z80 is still manufactured today and I was wondering whether there is any interest for a community or discussion group.
The Z80 is still manufactured today and I was wondering whether there is any interest for a community or discussion group.
I volunteer at The National Museum of Computing in Bletchley (Milton Keynes). For anyone who is interested, can move fast, and happy to donate to the museum, we have a ton of z80, 6502, Spectrum, ZX81, Commodore etc books we want rid of. No lists, you’d have to visit. It’s a good library to do some research into old machines.
I've not been since the separation from the war museum, I suspect it's changed a bit since I was last there.
Yes, not visited since the split. Saw the Bombe just after it was installed.
I assume you mean Bletchley Park? Not sure what was at TnMOC when you last came, but the Bombe is up and running in its new home with daily access - Tuesdays are engineering day so it may not always be running that day but you can still visit and get an explanation. There is also an Enigma machine to support the demo. EDSAC is pretty much done and going through its final tweaks: it can run a program but still some minor issues to resolve. The Harwell Dekatron (WITCH) is in place and that’s a fascinating machine to watch, especially its decimal storage. And of course Colossus, Tunny and Heath Robinson, the air traffic control display and all the 1980’s home computing machines you can play on - who remembers Manic Miner?
At the moment the roof is being replaced and the large systems gallery is closed so you can’t see EDSAC or the WITCH (or the ICL and other large systems). Check the website for when that work is finished.
I assume you mean Bletchley Park? Not sure what was at TnMOC when you last came, but the Bombe is up and running in its new home with daily access - Tuesdays are engineering day so it may not always be running that day but you can still visit and get an explanation. There is also an Enigma machine to support the demo. EDSAC is pretty much done and going through its final tweaks: it can run a program but still some minor issues to resolve. The Harwell Dekatron (WITCH) is in place and that’s a fascinating machine to watch, especially its decimal storage. And of course Colossus, Tunny and Heath Robinson, the air traffic control display and all the 1980’s home computing machines you can play on - who remembers Manic Miner?
At the moment the roof is being replaced and the large systems gallery is closed so you can’t see EDSAC or the WITCH (or the ICL and other large systems). Check the website for when that work is finished.
Yes, not visited since the split. Saw the Bombe just after it was installed.