element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
Community Hub
Community Hub
Member's Forum 3D printer to cnc router
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Quiz
  • Events
  • Leaderboard
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join Community Hub to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • Replies 4 replies
  • Subscribers 632 subscribers
  • Views 512 views
  • Users 0 members are here
Related

3D printer to cnc router

tensecondsdown
tensecondsdown over 5 years ago

I have a prusa clone 3d printer that I want to turn into a cnc router. It has an ATmega2560 with integrated RAMPS 1.4 board. I don't know anything about programming arduino or gbrl. I am looking for someone to edit the printers firmware so that I can run it as a cnc router. I will pay money for this. If you are willing just name a price and I will gladly pay it. Let me know and I will supply the link for the source code. Thanks

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
Parents
  • Fred27
    Fred27 over 5 years ago

    A 3D printer will make a terrible CNC router. 3D printers need to be fast. CNC routers need to be strong. Even when someone tries to design a machine from the ground up to do both (and it happens often) they turn out to be awful.

     

    The best place to spend your money would be on a separate machine. Much like 3D printers, there are a few on eBay that are good value for money as long as you have reasonable expectations.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Reply
  • Fred27
    Fred27 over 5 years ago

    A 3D printer will make a terrible CNC router. 3D printers need to be fast. CNC routers need to be strong. Even when someone tries to design a machine from the ground up to do both (and it happens often) they turn out to be awful.

     

    The best place to spend your money would be on a separate machine. Much like 3D printers, there are a few on eBay that are good value for money as long as you have reasonable expectations.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Children
  • tensecondsdown
    tensecondsdown over 5 years ago in reply to Fred27

    I don't want the machine to do both. I have an actual Prusa to do my printing. I have completely taken the printer apart and am making a new frame for the router. I really only plan on using the steppers and board for the router. I am not making a huge machine just a small desktop and I only want it to machine drone frames out of carbon fiber and maybe machine some circuit boards, so I don't need anything stong.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube