element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
Community Hub
Community Hub
Member's Forum What do I say? Help me out...
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Quiz
  • Events
  • Leaderboard
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join Community Hub to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • Replies 13 replies
  • Subscribers 631 subscribers
  • Views 2159 views
  • Users 0 members are here
  • community
Related

What do I say? Help me out...

cstanton
cstanton over 5 years ago

Last week I had to take some time out of work for a hospital appointment (I'm ok, don't worry) for a check up, and to ease the anxiety and stress of it I get into some idle chat with the medical staff (they're pretty awesome) and partly to pass the time.

 

Part of the discussion comes up where I'm asked:

 

"What do you do for work?"

 

And I explain I'm part of a team that works on the element14 Community, and then that's where the difficulty starts.

 

"What's the element14 Community?"

 

And I'm like... well, where do I start to describe what the element14 Community is to someone else? Just what do I say?

 

I figured I'd ask you fellow members, what do you say when you/how do you describe the element14 Community to other people?

 

Because I feel like I need some help here.

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
  • cstanton
    cstanton over 5 years ago in reply to Gough Lui

    Y'know, more and more people can't relate to the concept of a pub.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +4 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • DAB
    DAB over 5 years ago

    I tell people it is an online place where engineers hang out.

     

    DAB

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +4 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • 14rhb
    14rhb over 5 years ago in reply to Gough Lui

    I'm thinking that pre-Covid, Element14 was present at roadshows and electronic conventions, and if that overturns your first bullet slightly, maybe all the others need challenging also...so next Element14 roadshow I expect there to be a suitable brew tap at the counter image.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +3 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • dougw
    dougw over 5 years ago

    If you want to keep it short and are talking to someone with a sense of humor you could say "I herd techie cats on the internet".....image

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +12 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • colporteur
    colporteur over 5 years ago in reply to Gough Lui

    I like where this is going. I would suggest "water hole" rather than pub. My search of the term, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watering_hole_attack  gives me cause to reconsider the suggestion. Let's stick with what the Aussie put forward.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +4 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • Gough Lui
    Gough Lui over 5 years ago

    Perhaps you say say that you run a pub ...

    • but the pub doesn't physically exist ... it's online.
    • it's a place where people get together and have a chat ... but it's mainly focused on electronics.
    • but it doesn't serve alcohol ... but it does provide knowledge and tidbits.

     

    - Gough

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +6 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • colporteur
    colporteur over 5 years ago

    E14 is a web community that supports individuals interested in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics. The site provides resources designed to entertain, engage and enlighten members. Communities are built on people. The community members of E14 are not only welcoming but are another resources that members can draw on. I (CS) am part of a team that is both a resource and support to the community.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +4 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • dougw
    dougw over 5 years ago

    It has been called a forum for a long time, but I never thought it was a good description.

    Using the language of non-members I would say:

    element 14 is a social media platform where members create technical content, learn about technology and discuss technology

    This is a bit of a mouthful, and the audience may be glazing over before the description is completed, but I find it too incomplete if it is distilled down further.

    If they want more information, tell them how many members it has. If they are still awake, you could describe the main sections, but would probably be better off describing why you are passionate about it..

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +10 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • javagoza
    javagoza over 5 years ago

    For me element14 community is the spirit of the first usenet forums carried over to the 21st century. Respect for others, desire to teach, help and learn together. Good guys.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +10 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • shabaz
    shabaz over 5 years ago

    Hi Christopher,

     

    I can imagine, sometimes it's easier just to change/tweak the job title to suit the person you're talking to, e.g. 'Manager' is more easier for some people to understand rather than 'Community Manager'.

    If it were me, I'd probably refer to it as a society or an official group or body for the engineering profession (since people have heard of the Legal profession etc), and that you manage it. Probably none of us would mind if you referred to it as you being the Manager of the League of Extraordinary Engineers or something : )

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +11 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
>
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube