element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products & Partners
    Products & Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
Community Hub
Community Hub
Member's Forum LTspice for Theremin circuits
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Quiz
  • Events
  • Leaderboard
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join Community Hub to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • Replies 7 replies
  • Subscribers 632 subscribers
  • Views 1884 views
  • Users 0 members are here
  • tutorial
  • ltspice
  • theremin
  • simulation
  • spice
Related

LTspice for Theremin circuits

FredM
FredM over 16 years ago

LTspice is available free from http://www.linear.com/

This simulator is superb, and suitable for all designers, from beginners to 'advanced'.. It is well suited to simulation of Theremin circuits.

 

The best tutorial I have found to get you started can be downloaded at

http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0073106941/student_view0/lt_spice_instructions_and_support_files.html

 

This zip file contains a PowerPoint presentation SWCAD.PPT  and running this teaches you all the basics you need start using LTspice.

 

The Full reference manual is here: http://ltspice.linear.com/software/scad3.pdf

A few good guides:

http://web.cecs.pdx.edu/~ssuzuki/engr_notes/ltspice/LTSpice_help.pdf (A good tutorial, particularly on setting up simulation types and creating subcircuits.)

http://pages.suddenlink.net/wa5bdu/ltguide.pdf  (useful tutorial - data on transformers..)

http://home.mindspring.com/~eeweb/ltspicesubckts.pdf (more advanced sub-circuits)

http://www.ece.pdx.edu/~prasads/LTSpice%20Sweep%20Tutorial.pdf   (PARAMETER SWEEPING)
http://denethor.wlu.ca/ltspice/  (Tutorial and lots of good links)
 
LTspice is best for Analogue simulations in my opinion - The digital models are a pain.
 
For anyone having problems downloading LTspice, I have attached it to this message.. Probably not something I should be doing.. but as I am promoting their software, I hope Linear Technology wont object!
Attachments:
LTspiceIV.exe.zip
imagescad3[1].pdf
  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
Parents
  • e14 Contributor
    e14 Contributor over 16 years ago

    I went to the Linear Tech site and started to download the LTSpice installer. I was told that my email address is insufficiently sweet smelling. Their list of rejects includes gmail.com, hotmail.com and yahoo.com. OK, I can see their point.

     

    They allow that they might register you if you write to them, so I copied the page, after replacing my password choice with spaces, and wrote to them. We'll see what comes of it.

     

    In the mean time, I think I'll see how bad a time MultiSim (the free version from Analog Devices) does on understanding LTSpice files. At least I haven't been rejected by them (yet).

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Reply
  • e14 Contributor
    e14 Contributor over 16 years ago

    I went to the Linear Tech site and started to download the LTSpice installer. I was told that my email address is insufficiently sweet smelling. Their list of rejects includes gmail.com, hotmail.com and yahoo.com. OK, I can see their point.

     

    They allow that they might register you if you write to them, so I copied the page, after replacing my password choice with spaces, and wrote to them. We'll see what comes of it.

     

    In the mean time, I think I'll see how bad a time MultiSim (the free version from Analog Devices) does on understanding LTSpice files. At least I haven't been rejected by them (yet).

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Children
  • FredM
    FredM over 16 years ago in reply to e14 Contributor

    I have attached the LTspice "original" to the first posting, just in case my WinZip is incompatable with yours ;-) ..

    Element-14 seems to do ita own zipping on .exe files..

     

    I have also added the documentation (pdf) in case you cant get that from Linear Technology

     

    Getting other simultors to run each others files aint worth the effort.. netlists may be compatible, but thats where it ends - symbol formats, schematic formats etc are all different - its easier just to re-draw the schematic than to try to export / import files..

     

    I mainly use LabCenter Proteus (to me, this is by far the best combined schematic / simulation / PCB package available at any price) Proteus allows simulation of microcontrollers - one can simulate entire MCU/Digital/PLD/Analogue systems, and do hardware and software debugging simultaneously - Almost as good as having a real circuit, ICE, Logic analyser, oscilloscope etc ... Except that complex circuits do not simulate in real time.. so what one might do in 10 minutes on the bench can take a couple of hours on the PC!

     

    Apart from that - the idea is great :-)  In reality, one usually debugs in stages - and this really works well (for everything except Theremins :-()

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • FredM
    FredM over 16 years ago in reply to e14 Contributor

    Hi Ray,

    I have no problems.. doesnt even ask for registration.

    see attached .zip

    Attachments:
    Simulator.zip
    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube