element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
Community Hub
Community Hub
Member's Forum Complete Newbie to Electronics
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Quiz
  • Events
  • Leaderboard
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join Community Hub to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • Replies 9 replies
  • Subscribers 632 subscribers
  • Views 1165 views
  • Users 0 members are here
Related

Complete Newbie to Electronics

e14 Contributor
e14 Contributor over 11 years ago

Hi

 

 

As per the topic title I am a complete newbie to electronics and would like to know where I should start.

There is associate degrees in Australia, at university but I live way to far away and want to know where I should start.

 

 

My first thing in mind is to buy the following project and start with it, and I am kinda looking for a similar process where I buy the tools and equipment and learn from the basics up in each area etc.

 

 

http://www.pirateselectronics.com/products/pirates-electronics-kit

 

 

So this is coming in September and I would like to get a head start, I don't know the difference between a ohmn to a diode etc. I am a disability pensioner with a neurological condition so working full time is not an option any more. My dream would be fixing old gaming systems or something in the repair technician avenue.

 

 

So previous to me being made a disability pensioner I was a watchmaker's assistant and have love working with my hands and diagnosing problems and fixing them properly. So watchmakers over here aren't that well trained and just movement exchange a watch's movement rather then repairing it. So I have plenty of time on my hands and want to do this OLD school.

 

 

I am looking at getting some basic tools, I already have a bunch of tweezers and pliers etc from my watchmaking days, so I was going to get a multimeter (fluke) and a soldering iron (digital, with variable temperature adjustments) I am guessing this is a good place to start.

 

 

Please don't flame me or diss me, Like I said I am new here and I am wanting to know what to buy from the ground up and what sites/books to read through.

 

 

Kind Regards

Scott

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
Parents
  • jw0752
    jw0752 over 11 years ago

    Hi Scott,

    Welcome to E-14. This is a very good place to start. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here and everyone is respectful of each other regardless of our different skill levels. Here is a web site that I found useful. It has good tutorials on all the basics as well as a way to ask the moderator questions. Of course you can always come here to ask questions too. The tutorials will suggest different simple circuits that you can put together and try. This is just a beginning and you will find there are a lot of good books and many ways to approach learning electronics. Make it fun and it will be a good adventure.

     

    http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/

     

    John

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Reply
  • jw0752
    jw0752 over 11 years ago

    Hi Scott,

    Welcome to E-14. This is a very good place to start. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here and everyone is respectful of each other regardless of our different skill levels. Here is a web site that I found useful. It has good tutorials on all the basics as well as a way to ask the moderator questions. Of course you can always come here to ask questions too. The tutorials will suggest different simple circuits that you can put together and try. This is just a beginning and you will find there are a lot of good books and many ways to approach learning electronics. Make it fun and it will be a good adventure.

     

    http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/

     

    John

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Children
No Data
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube