element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
Community Hub
Community Hub
Member's Forum Complete Newbie to Electronics
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Quiz
  • Events
  • Leaderboard
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join Community Hub to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • Replies 9 replies
  • Subscribers 632 subscribers
  • Views 1169 views
  • Users 0 members are here
Related

Complete Newbie to Electronics

e14 Contributor
e14 Contributor over 11 years ago

Hi

 

 

As per the topic title I am a complete newbie to electronics and would like to know where I should start.

There is associate degrees in Australia, at university but I live way to far away and want to know where I should start.

 

 

My first thing in mind is to buy the following project and start with it, and I am kinda looking for a similar process where I buy the tools and equipment and learn from the basics up in each area etc.

 

 

http://www.pirateselectronics.com/products/pirates-electronics-kit

 

 

So this is coming in September and I would like to get a head start, I don't know the difference between a ohmn to a diode etc. I am a disability pensioner with a neurological condition so working full time is not an option any more. My dream would be fixing old gaming systems or something in the repair technician avenue.

 

 

So previous to me being made a disability pensioner I was a watchmaker's assistant and have love working with my hands and diagnosing problems and fixing them properly. So watchmakers over here aren't that well trained and just movement exchange a watch's movement rather then repairing it. So I have plenty of time on my hands and want to do this OLD school.

 

 

I am looking at getting some basic tools, I already have a bunch of tweezers and pliers etc from my watchmaking days, so I was going to get a multimeter (fluke) and a soldering iron (digital, with variable temperature adjustments) I am guessing this is a good place to start.

 

 

Please don't flame me or diss me, Like I said I am new here and I am wanting to know what to buy from the ground up and what sites/books to read through.

 

 

Kind Regards

Scott

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
Parents
  • balearicdynamics
    balearicdynamics over 11 years ago

    Hello Scott, you are welcome.

     

    Let me just suggest a thing. With pirate electronics kit you buy almost 10$ of stuff for 60$. That is not the worth, in my opinion. At the same price you can buy a breadboard for a couple of $, a couple of Arduino and probably less resistors than what you have with this kit but sure it is very difficult that (without eating them) you need about 400 different resistors for ANY project you can start with. Take a look on Element14 what is the price of a resistor and you can have an idea. Sorry for my criticism but I really dislike those companies that attract the newbies with just something having (maybe) a nice design. If you want a metal box like that yellow one (the most valuable stuff in the kit, it seems) I can send you black and you also enjoy painting it of your preferred color.

     

    With the same budget (about 60$) you can alternatively buy a Raspberry PI (B+ or version 2) and save again 20$ for discrete components. But it is better for you that before buying components you get a microcontroller board or SBC (Single Board Computer, just like Raspi) and start playing with it. See what happens and when a project start growing in your mind you buy the components you need.

     

    Enrico

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Reply
  • balearicdynamics
    balearicdynamics over 11 years ago

    Hello Scott, you are welcome.

     

    Let me just suggest a thing. With pirate electronics kit you buy almost 10$ of stuff for 60$. That is not the worth, in my opinion. At the same price you can buy a breadboard for a couple of $, a couple of Arduino and probably less resistors than what you have with this kit but sure it is very difficult that (without eating them) you need about 400 different resistors for ANY project you can start with. Take a look on Element14 what is the price of a resistor and you can have an idea. Sorry for my criticism but I really dislike those companies that attract the newbies with just something having (maybe) a nice design. If you want a metal box like that yellow one (the most valuable stuff in the kit, it seems) I can send you black and you also enjoy painting it of your preferred color.

     

    With the same budget (about 60$) you can alternatively buy a Raspberry PI (B+ or version 2) and save again 20$ for discrete components. But it is better for you that before buying components you get a microcontroller board or SBC (Single Board Computer, just like Raspi) and start playing with it. See what happens and when a project start growing in your mind you buy the components you need.

     

    Enrico

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Children
No Data
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube