element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
Community Hub
Community Hub
Member's Forum Favourite technological word
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Quiz
  • Events
  • Leaderboard
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join Community Hub to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • Replies 79 replies
  • Subscribers 640 subscribers
  • Views 4835 views
  • Users 0 members are here
Related

Favourite technological word

Workshopshed
Workshopshed over 10 years ago

jack.chaney56 mentioned that his favourite word was "Just" as in, "it just works" which often hides a massive amount of work done by others to make it happen for you.

 

My favourite is "Simply" which comes up in our requirements statements. e.g. "It simply needs to guide the rocket and land on the asteroid". We find it used most when the person writing the request has no idea at all about what needs to be done.

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
Parents
  • D_Hersey
    D_Hersey over 10 years ago

    . . .is an acronym

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • jack.chaney56
    jack.chaney56 over 10 years ago in reply to D_Hersey

    yes... FUBAR is a naval term, and SNAFU is the army equivalent.

    Air Corps think they don't have these issues, and for the Marines it is a way of life.

     

    Jack

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • clem57
    clem57 over 10 years ago in reply to jack.chaney56

    If you don't succeed, try again!

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • johnbeetem
    johnbeetem over 10 years ago in reply to mudz

    mudz wrote:

     

    What is a Success? No word like Failure should be used, we should replace that word with Experience, it will be much better. For example If someone says "I tried that and it was complete failure" no it should be like "I tried that and I got a 'huge experience' about what not to try/do again".

    My favorite quote on this subject: "Good judgement comes from Experience.  Experience comes from Bad Judgement."

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • mudz
    mudz over 10 years ago in reply to jack.chaney56

    and one of my favourites
    image

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +3 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • mudz
    mudz over 10 years ago in reply to Robert Peter Oakes

    These three words are written on my DNA strands.image I don't know about you but I have seen & experienced it in many times of my life, what this "never give up" thing can do. I'm never afraid of going one/two/three or.... steps further what's not in my comfort zone and I'm Happy to say that it always worth the pain.
    I was writing a whole latest example of this but it became huge as I wrote it and will probably waste your time So I'm not posting it here.

     

    Cheers ! image
    mudz

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • mudz
    mudz over 10 years ago in reply to jack.chaney56

    Ohh, You are so right.
    I have tasted what delicious recipe experience can make. That's why I always build things from scratch because when I start from scratch I seek for many new things to learn. For example, If I just connect components in a circuit and made a development board looking over a schematic I am definitely going to learn a little because I will be making less mistake in that. If I create my own circuit and then start building a development board that thing will teach me a lot because I know I will make mistakes but it will definitely raise questions like " WHAT? WHY" and finally " Oh That's Why! " i.e. EXPERIENCE. Of course it takes some time but I have always found that, that time is really worth it.
    When I build a project & if everything goes smooth i.e. no mistake, I believe I haven't learned anything about it. on the other hand If I'm making a project and it is stuck at one problem That is a huge success for me because I know in any next moment/day/week/month I'm going to get my answer "why its not working" and that will stay in my memory forever.

     

    mudz

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Reply
  • mudz
    mudz over 10 years ago in reply to jack.chaney56

    Ohh, You are so right.
    I have tasted what delicious recipe experience can make. That's why I always build things from scratch because when I start from scratch I seek for many new things to learn. For example, If I just connect components in a circuit and made a development board looking over a schematic I am definitely going to learn a little because I will be making less mistake in that. If I create my own circuit and then start building a development board that thing will teach me a lot because I know I will make mistakes but it will definitely raise questions like " WHAT? WHY" and finally " Oh That's Why! " i.e. EXPERIENCE. Of course it takes some time but I have always found that, that time is really worth it.
    When I build a project & if everything goes smooth i.e. no mistake, I believe I haven't learned anything about it. on the other hand If I'm making a project and it is stuck at one problem That is a huge success for me because I know in any next moment/day/week/month I'm going to get my answer "why its not working" and that will stay in my memory forever.

     

    mudz

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Children
No Data
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube