element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
Community Hub
Community Hub
Member's Forum Favourite technological word
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Quiz
  • Events
  • Leaderboard
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join Community Hub to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • Replies 79 replies
  • Subscribers 640 subscribers
  • Views 4866 views
  • Users 0 members are here
Related

Favourite technological word

Workshopshed
Workshopshed over 10 years ago

jack.chaney56 mentioned that his favourite word was "Just" as in, "it just works" which often hides a massive amount of work done by others to make it happen for you.

 

My favourite is "Simply" which comes up in our requirements statements. e.g. "It simply needs to guide the rocket and land on the asteroid". We find it used most when the person writing the request has no idea at all about what needs to be done.

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
  • COMPACT
    COMPACT over 10 years ago

    As previously mentioned in other posts, mine's always been "It depends"!

     

    Is feedback a good thing?

     

    It depends!

    If you want an oscillator then absolutely yes. For a PA Amplifier then No!

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • DAB
    DAB over 10 years ago

    Yes, when it comes to words, the one that always alerts me is "it will be easy" or "its just a couple of lines of code".

     

    DAB

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • jack.chaney56
    jack.chaney56 over 10 years ago in reply to Workshopshed

    Or any similar "condescending" word.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • Workshopshed
    Workshopshed over 10 years ago in reply to jack.chaney56

    Jack Chaney wrote:

     

    The third word in the triad is "basically". Thanks for the mention,

    Jack

    Obviously

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • jw0752
    jw0752 over 10 years ago

    Hi Andy,

    As a technician and not an engineer I do not even pretend that what "just" works for me isn't really someones else's genius. I associate with the "Borg" as I assimilate technology and twist it to my own diabolical purposes.

    John

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • jack.chaney56
    jack.chaney56 over 10 years ago in reply to ntewinkel

    Same here, but I go back to the old IMSAI days (just how old is that guy?)

    Jack

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • ntewinkel
    ntewinkel over 10 years ago

    ...his favourite word was "Just" as in, "it just works"...

     

    LOL recently I've been using that in the form of "it just doesn't work!" (yes I'm still on a Mac image)

     

    I haven't thought of what my favourite tech word might be, but I totally agree about "it just works" - I've been enjoying the fruits of other people's labours like that for a while now!

    Maybe I appreciate it more because I've done so much stuff the hard way, especially back in the DOS days.

     

    Cheers,

    -Nico

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • mudz
    mudz over 10 years ago

    I just saw that post image and the word I use most is " I " and it really annoys me big times because I don't want to use it and as you can see I have. See how many I's in a single statement image 
    Annoying I .

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • jack.chaney56
    jack.chaney56 over 10 years ago

    The third word in the triad is "basically". Thanks for the mention,

    Jack

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
<
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube