element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products & Partners
    Products & Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
Community Hub
Community Hub
Member's Forum Don't "wait and see what happens" - just ask! :)
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Quiz
  • Events
  • Leaderboard
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join Community Hub to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • Replies 3 replies
  • Subscribers 632 subscribers
  • Views 365 views
  • Users 0 members are here
Related

Don't "wait and see what happens" - just ask! :)

Mackfarnell
Mackfarnell over 15 years ago

Hi there!

In order to help better and more - please just fire away some questions you might dwell on:

Where do I start?

How do I find what interests ME?

How can element14 help me in my daily job?

etc etc

 

..you'll be surprised that's there more people than you having the same questions - and get helped too by the answers...

 

image / Marcus

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
Parents
  • oldman70
    oldman70 over 13 years ago

    Okay, I'll just ask!

         As my name suggests, I may be among the oldest members of this discussion.  I am certainly among the most inexperienced, i.e., I have none.

     

         I have just purchased an RPi  -- oh yes, I went to school there 50 years ago --  . 

         After doing a reasonable amount of research, I selected the Manhattan 7port powered USB hub from Adafruit, in addition the the "starter package" micro USB power adapter.

     

         NOW, I read about the backfeeding issues some are experiencing. Will the extra money I spent on the Manhattan "protect" me from backfeeding?

        

         Your advice will be appreciated.

     

         Regards,

         The oldman

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Reply
  • oldman70
    oldman70 over 13 years ago

    Okay, I'll just ask!

         As my name suggests, I may be among the oldest members of this discussion.  I am certainly among the most inexperienced, i.e., I have none.

     

         I have just purchased an RPi  -- oh yes, I went to school there 50 years ago --  . 

         After doing a reasonable amount of research, I selected the Manhattan 7port powered USB hub from Adafruit, in addition the the "starter package" micro USB power adapter.

     

         NOW, I read about the backfeeding issues some are experiencing. Will the extra money I spent on the Manhattan "protect" me from backfeeding?

        

         Your advice will be appreciated.

     

         Regards,

         The oldman

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Children
  • johnbeetem
    johnbeetem over 13 years ago in reply to oldman70

    Harry Strock wrote:

     

         I have just purchased an RPi  -- oh yes, I went to school there 50 years ago --  . 

         After doing a reasonable amount of research, I selected the Manhattan 7port powered USB hub from Adafruit, in addition the the "starter package" micro USB power adapter.

     

         NOW, I read about the backfeeding issues some are experiencing. Will the extra money I spent on the Manhattan "protect" me from backfeeding?

    Back-feeding (or back-powering) was a frequent problem with RasPi Model B rev 1.0, but with the rev 2.0 board (the ones with "mounting holes") it's usually not an issue.  According to the USB spec, a USB hub is not supposed to provide upstream power.  My cheap Inland hub has a Schottky diode to prevent this, some hubs have a jumper or small switch to prevent upstream power, and I suppose some high-end hubs use hot-swap circuitry.  However, a lot of hubs simply disregard the spec and just connect Vbus to all ports, whether they're downstream or upstream.

     

    The reason this was a problem with the original RasPi Model B is that it had 140 mA fuses for the two USB ports to protect RasPi from rogue USB devices.  However, a non-compliant externally-powered hub would happily power RasPi through the 140 mA fuse.  140 mA was enough to get RasPi's boot process started, but as more of the SoC powered up there was soon too much current for the 140 mA fuse and it would trigger, stopping the boot process mid-stream.  This would cause RasPi to halt and stop using much power, so the fuse would recover and then do it all over again.  Aborting the boot process over and over is a great way to corrupt the SD card, so the RasPi forum got lots of complaints about this.

     

    Well, one approach would be to tell people they'd have to use compliant hubs that don't back-power.  This is a nightmare, because as you know it's really hard to tell whether a given USB hub is compliant or not.  So RasPi decided to get rid of the USB fuses, first replacing them with 0 Ohm jumpers and then omitting them entirely on rev 2.0.  This means that if your USB hub can back-power, it will do so and the USB hub voltage will go to RasPi's 5V plane with no protection other than thickness of USB cable wires any fuses in the USB hub.  While this is less safe, I haven't seen examples of people killing the RasPis this way so overall it's been an improvement over rev 1.0, except that now the USB ports on RasPi modem B rev 2.0 aren't hot-swappable.  Well, can't expect everything for US$35.

     

    Here's how you can tell if Manhattan back-powers: unplug your Micro USB power supply and see if RasPi boots up with just the Manhattan.  If that works, you can store away your Micro USB power supply and simplify your cabling.

     

    I always use my RasPi model 1.0 with an Atrix Lapdock, which deliberately back-powers its USB upstream connection.  I replaced my 140 mA USB fuses with 1.0 A fast blow surface mount fuses and it works great -- I only need a single cable for USB data and 5V power.

     

    For more information on the history of all this, I suggest this thread: http://www.element14.com/community/thread/19316.

     

    Also, for RasPi questions you're best off posting at the RasPi group: http://www.element14.com/community/groups/raspberry-pi.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube